Problem with burned out gels in S4 Lekos

RPHSTAFF

We are having a major issue with our S4 Lekos used for our high side lighting. After our regular replacement of our gels, I turned on our lights to check the focusing and make sure everything was in working order and two of the brand new gels were instantly fried. Within 5 minutes of having the lights on five more were burned. The strange thing about it was that it was only one color of our high sides. Thinking that it might be a bad sheet of gels, I cut new ones and replaced them. None of them burned out.

The following day I came in to finish the focusing and once again after turning on the high sides they burnt out again. Same set of lights, same problem. We checked the temperature of the fixtures, an inch in front of the gel, on the outside of the barrel and on the outside of the house. Both the Barrel and House temperatures were normal compared to our other S4 Lekos. The temperature in front of the gel however was abnormal. It ranged from 200-500 degrees Fahrenheit on that set of lights. All of our high sides are S4 Lekos 26 degrees.

Determined to find the problem for why 7 of our 8 blue high sides were burning gels, we checked the voltage on both the instruments and the plug in, both normal; we changed out the barrels, and the entire instruments; we changed out gels, both brand new gels and older gels we had laying around. No matter what we did we could not make the gels burn again. We left the problem alone, concluding that it must be the gels that we used.

On the third day, today, I picked a final color of gel to use. I switched my gel from Rosco (the one that burned out the first and second time) to Lee 132. It was a thicker gel than the ones I had used before, hoping the stronger gel would work better. After replacing all of the gels again I turned on the lighting board and brought up the blue high sides that have been giving us trouble. One gel burned instantly and so I turned them off and checked the other lights. All of the blue high sides were in the process of melting and some had holes in them as well. Frustrated I checked the voltage again, still normal, and replaced the gels one more time, I used the same gels from the same sheet that I had cut this morning, Lee 132. I put them in the fixtures and turned on the lights. This time the Gel didn't burn out.

I don't know why but it seems like every time we initially turn on our lights will they burn the gels. After that initial power up we the gels will no longer burn. The temperature fluctuations are the only evidence of something being wrong but we don't know how or why these temperatures are so ill regular. We are going to try to measure the voltage on Monday when we turn on the lights in the morning to see if there is a problem with the initial power up. Any suggestions or ideas on why this is happening will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

First off welcome to the booth.

Chances are your instruments need to be optimized/bench focused. Do a search on either term and you'll come up with a myriad of threads that will tell you how.

Also, because a gel is thicker doesn't mean its stronger. Lee, Rosco, Gam and Apollo will all feed you a schtick about why their gel doesn't burn out as quickly. (No offense to any employees from any of those companies.) All gel burns, period. Trust me on that.

Last edited:
Try for a flat bench focus and if you still have problems you may need to purchase gel extenders and your more saturated colors may need to be purchased in their high-temp forms.

The high-temp sheets are for colors that tend to burn through faster, and when purchasing, you would need to ask specifically for the high-temp sheets. Many swatchbooks tell you whether or not a color is offered in HT.

As odd as it sounds, try adjusting your barrel. You need to bench the light no matter what first. But, try running the barrel all the way out it its in, and vice versa if its out. Beyond that, HT gel and a gel extender help as said above. Heat shield can also be purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back