Problems linking Strand 520i and SFX through MIDI

kittyn3

I have a Strand 520i lighting console and I am trying to link it through MIDI to a SFX program. Ideal, I would like to try to control the SFX from the Strand but can't figure out how to do it. I have tried several different things even trying to get the SFX to control the light board, but can't get it to work. The Strand manual is very vague as to what needs to be done. This is the first time I am working with MIDI, so any instruction needs to be step by step and detailed. Any information will help. Thanks.

Are you actually using "SFX" or are you using some other sound effects program? SFX comes in many different versions, and not all of them support MIDI control. If you don't have one of the versions of SFX that support MSC you will never get it to work.

For information on MIDI, it is on page 314 of the Stand 500 series manual. The console only listens for MSC commands to trigger cues or fire macros. So if you want to trigger cues on the console, you need to make sure that you are sending MSC commands and not just MIDI commands. You also need to makes sure that you set the console's MIDI device ID and that you are sending MSC commands to the correct device ID from your software. The Strand 500 Series manual gives the MIDI hex data in a table so that you can tell your control software what commands to send (check page 319).

Frankly, you might find that investing in a Rosco Keystroke as you can use it to control any computer based software.

I have SFX 5.6. What is the difference between MSC command and MIDI command? How do I send the command to the SFX? Is it through a cue? Is there anyway to tell if they are connecting with each other?

I have SFX 5.6. What is the difference between MSC command and MIDI command? How do I send the command to the SFX? Is it through a cue? Is there anyway to tell if they are connecting with each other?

MSC is a subset of standard MIDI commands that are designed to talk to specific types of controllers. There are command sets that talk to lighting, sound, motion control, pyro, etc.

There are different versions of SFX. I believe that there are three releases of version 5.6. I believe they all support basic MIDI commands, but I think only the two higher end versions support MSC. I know in the new v6 of SFX only the top end version supports MSC.

It has been a while since I did any serious programming on SFX so I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it. I do know that there is a way that you can edit the actual hex data that is sent so you can send device specific data. And yes, I believe you can just put the commands into a cue in SFX.

MIDI isn't a bi-directional protocol, one device sends data to another. So you can't really test the connection other than making sure that it works. The devices don't talk to eachother to say "hi we are here." In this sense it is much like DMX, the devices just listen for data that is directed at them.

I think we have found the menu that sends the MSC commands but SFX still won't talk to the Strand board. We checked the ID numbers they match. What I don't know is what should the other settings be in the MIDI menu on the Strand console. There is channel and mode (backup or slave), faders and key controller, notes and velocity, trigger macro, trigger bytes and the MSC ID rx and tx which is the ID.

Like DMX and like SCSI, each device connected to MIDI needs a unique address. The MSC ID in the console for RX is the ID to which you should be sending MSC commands if you want to trigger the console. The tx ID would be the device you want the console to control, which you may or may not need. The ID number of SFX should not be the same as your console. Also check your connections such that the MIDI out from your computer is connected to the MIDI IN on the console. You don't need to go the other way unless you want to be able to trigger sound cues from the console.

If you want to send an MSC GO to your console you would need to send the following hex command from SFX:
F0 7F id 02 cf 01 F7 where "id" = the device id of the console and "cf" is the command format which should be set to 01 for lighting.

Thank you. Do you know how to set the TX Id on the SFX?

I don't off the top of my head as we don't have the MIDI version here and it has been a while since I used the MIDI version. However i am sure that someone else here might be able to help you with that, or you might check the manual for SFX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back