Programming Faders/Submasters on ETC Ion independent of moving fixtures

Txreilly

I've recorded looks in my faders to assist in designing a show, i.e. front warms in one fader, front cools in the next and so on. I have several different types of moving/color changing lights: Wybron scrollers, I-Cues, Clay Paky, LEDs.
When I try to use any of the faders while in a pre-recorded cue EVERYTHING with moving hardware changes or moves. I obviously didn't record them (the subs) correctly. I've read the manual and am getting confused. I'm familiar with record "cue only", but not with "record only". Bottom line, can someone point me in the right direction for recording subs/faders that takes moving lights into consideration. I also used to be able to have just the scrollers and colors (in LED lights) on separate faders. I'm assuming that this is all tied together.

Thanks much,

Anthony

Go into Blind. Call up first of the errant submasters - "Sub, XX, Enter". You will see all the channels recorded in the sub. Grab the channels associated with stuff you don't want in the Sub and do a Make Null Enter, it's a soft key.

Use Next/Last to ascertain which subs have all the ML crap you don't want. While still in blind, list Subs XX thru XX Enter, Channels XX thru XX Make Null.

Go into Blind. Call up first of the errant submasters - "Sub, XX, Enter". You will see all the channels recorded in the sub. Grab the channels associated with stuff you don't want in the Sub and do a Make Null Enter, it's a soft key.

Use Next/Last to ascertain which subs have all the ML crap you don't want. While still in blind, list Subs XX thru XX Enter, Channels XX thru XX Make Null.
Is there an easier way next time he records a sub "look" to avoid having to edit in blind?

Yes, either use filters to not grab ML values, or make sure ML's and LED's have no manual values. Which is why I tend to record any subs for conventionals first in the recording process. Then use Record Only.

To expand on SteveB's comment:

When you type "Chan 1 Record Sub 3" it is recording all values into that sub. We can be a bit more selective than that by typing "Chan 1 Focus Color Beam Record Sub 3", which will record only Focus, Color and Beam parameters into the sub. Or we could do "Chan 1 Color Select Record Sub 4" which record only the Color Select parameter into the sub.

That's probably the easiest way to selectively record values for a single shot. If you're going through and setting up multiple submasters, you'd really want to look into filters. ETC has some great videos about this.

This is the one about command line filtering
This is the one about using filters.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back