Projection fail

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I'm doing another presentation on how to do projection right, but I would like to share some examples where it didn't quite hit the mark. Anyone have any pictures that they would like to share? I don't want to call anyone out or to get fail photos from the internet, but I would like to see actual productions. PM responses are fine.

Examples that I wouldn't mind are images where lighting won (washed out image) or error message appears (not Trent Resnor's BSoD from his concert) or bad image placement.

Thanks

We do projections every show non stop. We use a 3k projector from Best Buy. Not by choice. In the 5 years here I have killed 3 projectors.

I can stage some stuff or give you examples of what has happened during the show. Dealers choice.

Amiers, I was hoping not to put anyone out by needing to stage something. However, if what happens to you might be something unique, that you think might be beneficial, I appreciate your offer and will take you up on it. I had some on a thumb drive that I lost. :^(

I'm not bashful. Especially if people can learn from it.

Don't get me wrong I maintain it and keep the light off the stage and do the best effects I can but there is only so much that can be done and I do my best to give a good show to my ability.

Give me some examples we are down for two days I'll see how much I can do, will give me a reason to get outta the office for a bit.

Reactions: Van
Well, I'm up for what you've got. If you have problems with the projectors or with the output, let me know. Thanks for the offer.

I wish I had a picture but long ago I was involved in a production of Magic Flute that used projection as the backdrop. Industrial design class provided the content. They were told I needed some length of content for each scene since I wanted to make sure the tape, yes tape, was up to speed before I did a screen grab. I did mention this was a while ago, whole thing being run on RS232 and a prayer. Anyway we only had one mishap during the run, castle picture comes up runs for a few seconds and the projector freezes the image. Half a castle stays on the screen, half is a lovely shade of grey. Told the kids when they gave me the tape at dress that ten seconds of content for each scene really wasn't what I had in mind when I said some length. Lesson learned by me in dealing with students, be VERY clear in everything.

Last show I did with projection we used a balun from FOH to the stage to transmit the signal. Cat cable was unshielded and we used a CO2 effect during one part of the show. Every time we hit the effect, the projector would go to static, completely cut the signal. One time it even cut the signal on the local monitor!

Turns out the CO2 was creating a huge static field. Solution? DIY Shielding!

Looked bad, but it did the trick!

Attachments

• 20170305_132618.jpg
    20170305_132618.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 281
Whatever works!

I remember while binge watching Eureka I kept waiting for the time when the sheriff suggests tinfoil hats and they use them. Never happened but they got close once.

It was that, or re-pull a 300' cat cable..... Tinfoil was faster! And Fancy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back