Projector Mount / "Spider Mount" Question

Hey All,

I am a lighting guy who does a bit of projection, and I have a very simple question for an informed video person. My experience with video and projection has come entirely with rentals from area AV houses, so there's usually someone to answer my questions about rigging and signal transmission.

When I rent projectors with spider mounts, the projector/ mount comes in two pieces. One piece, in the case, is the projector with the "spider" part of the mount that stays attached always. The other piece is a pipe (3-5' depending on trim required) with a cheeseborough on one end, and a flat plate that adapts to the spider on the other. This second part is a very common rental item.

My organization just bought our first digital projector for stage use, a small Christie 4k projector, USED. The unit came with the "spider" part, which actually touches the projector, but not the "pipe, plate, and cheeseborough" portion of the mount. I am usually pretty good at internet research but I have had zero luck figuring out what the second part of this mount is called and where to buy one from.

Can someone in the know please help me with what to type into Google to get our projector riggable and useable? I think my terminology is probably wrong.

Thanks All!

S

You will probably just need to buy an entire new mount and a piece of threaded pipe with a cheeseborough. The plate that you generally see on the pipe is part of the mount that has just been detached but in my experience the two parts always come as a package together. I would look at Chief and Peerless for a mount if the goal is to use it with threaded pipe.

I agree. These are not sold separately, but for the ease of putting them in a road case are often split. I, too, ended up with a used projector with only half of the hanging hardware and could not convince the manufacturer to sell me the other half that I needed. There are several quality manufacturers who sell mounting hardware if you would like direction as to which you might want to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back