Prop light up activation button

DomLauria

Looking to make a prop for a venue with a retractable roof to where we have audience members push this light up prop button and pretend that they are opening our roof.

Think there is a way to modify this switch so that when we turn the key the green light turns on and then the audience member can push the green button? Hoping we can just throw a 9V battery inside the unit and then we will stick a fake antenna onto the exterior.

It's only 20 bux so we'll try either way, but curious if any of you prop masters know or have ideas for a cooler prop type button/switch to let people pretend to open a roof :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YXOFWM/?tag=controlbooth-20

A 9v battery wouldn't do it. That switch I believe is made to control 220v and that would mean the pilot light would expect to see that 220v as well. I'm sure you can find some low voltage illuminated buttons though - just maybe not built in to a handy box like this.

You could possibly replace the lamp in the product you linked to with a 12v lamp (no guarantees) or replace the button completely. Mouser.com or DigiKey would have lots of options. The buttons themselves don't care what voltage they're seeing - they'll still work. You just want to make sure you can get a light in there that is the correct voltage.

This is usually where I go down to the dollar store or to the toy store and look for cheap light up toys that I can take apart and use the component parts to make a light up/buzzing gizmo. The infant toy section usually has big colorful buttons in battery operated toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back