Puck 3 or Puck Q6/W? (or: Tri-LED or Quad LED?)

Hi,

After returning my two EuroLite KSL-1001 4-in-1 LED PAR sets which I highly suspect of having significant and imho unnecessary latency as discussed in this thread, I'm now consdering getting a bunch of Pucks from Blizzard Lighting instead, either the Puck 3 with 9x 3W Tri-Color RGB LED modules or the Puck Q6/W with 6x 10W Quad-Color RGBW LEDs.

Since I'm new to lighting I was hoping that someone could help me determine what would be the best choice for my application given the following:
  • Will be used mainly for backlighting, I think
    However the only frontlighting we have currently is 2 Martin RoboColors (original version) each having 4x 150W Halogen pinspots. Will this be enough for front-lighting a 4 person progrock band in venues for 250-1000 peeps max? Should I be looking at getting additional front-lighting and would the Q6/W do a reasonable job with it's added white LED?
  • I don't particularly like the layout of the LED modules in either the Puck 3 or the Q6/W. For back-lighting I think the Puck 3 may look a bit nicer with is 9 LEDs as opposed to just 6.
  • Would adding a light frost filter do any good to make the lights themselves a bit more visible? We will be using fog or haze but I think that those 6 relatively tiny dots of bright light may not look that great.
  • Neither of these has frames for gel filters. Since their housing is metal would it perhaps be possible to use some small magnets (8 per par, 2 per corner) to hold the filter up? Depends on the type of metal of course but I'd like to know if this is a really bad idea or not.
  • Price difference between these two seems rather small: $199 for the Puck 3 vs $219 for the Q6/W. I'm tempted to go with the Q6/W unless my theory about 9 LEDs looking better than just 6 for back-lighting purposes makes any sense.
  • Somehow I think of a mixed purchase of Puck 3 / Q6/W units does not make much sense as I think I would loose the ability to use 8 of them 'in a row' and make it look good.
  • Should I be paying $199 resp. $219 for these lights at Farralane.com when I buy 6 or 8 of them? Could anyone recommened an online retailer?
  • In general for what applications would you choose RGBW versus RGBA?
  • Anything else I should consider when deciding between these two?
Thanks,
Arjan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back