Automated Fixtures purchase advice / guidance / etc..

VFAC

Greetings - I am new to the forums and looking for some giudance...I am a recent hire as the facility manager for a school districts PAC. I finshed my degree about 20 years back and my emphasis was in stage managing / directing. Long story short decided I needed some insurance and stability, hence this gig (where I do EVERYTHING!). We run a wonderful ION console that does more than I could ever master. I have been given the OK to look for a couple of automated lights and due to budget concerns I have recomended we get something used. I have been asked to stay under $4k and my desire is to at least get a pair of lights....I know thats not much but still... They will primarily be used for dance events and high school theatre, and as growing tools, training for light design / operation, etc.... And of course I want the best bang for the buck and muli-purpose fixture I can find. I have been looking some but it's a bit overwhelming to somone used to good old fresnels & lekos....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

It's covered in the gafftaper method, but if you don't have a huge budget but still want movement you may want to look into Apollo right arms, or the Rosco Icue. And sense it always comes up... remember that replacement lamps for moving lights can range in the hundreds of dollars.

Can you tell us what these "OK to look at" moving fixtures are? We could probably recommend specific accessories that would compliment the features available in them.

If you are allowed to purchase used, I would contact rental shops near you to see what older stuff they are selling off, that way when you need service they should be able to help you out.

I don't know if there are any available in your area, but the High End Studio Spot or Wash are pretty solid fixtures. They are also traditionally pretty popular in theaters, due to the fact that they are fanless. I have to agree that you want to look into something that your local rental/repair houses can work on.

The Studio Spot/Wash series also has the upside that they've been around for a long time, and there are plenty out there available for sale used.

I don't know if there are any available in your area, but the High End Studio Spot or Wash are pretty solid fixtures. They are also traditionally pretty popular in theaters, due to the fact that they are fanless. I have to agree that you want to look into something that your local rental/repair houses can work on.

The Studio Spot/Wash series also has the upside that they've been around for a long time, and there are plenty out there available for sale used.

yeah - the studio spots are actually what I have been leaning toward. The 575 series seems like the best fit but I haven't seen too many out there on the used markets...lots of the 250s, which I understand are no longer being made....thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back