Qlab Free Basic Operations

Dillweed

Hi I am looking at QLab for my MacBook and what are the basic operations of the free version and what are the added feature with the pro version? I am needing this for more of a Audio Cue Playback. Mostly for Drama Productions and Show Choir Productions.

Hoe old is your MacBook? Qlab 3 and 4 have minimum OS/X version requirements. My 10.10.5 Mid-2010 is, I think, too old to run 4; my older MacMini with 10.5.8 won't run 3.

You can't license 2 anymore, though I think if 2 is all you can run for some reason, a 3 license will still work.

The free license is enough to get real work done, at the community and small house level; missing are things like 16 output channels instead of 2, vamp cues, and timed-start cues. That's accurate for 2, and mostly for 3; I haven't installed 4 yet.

Multiplay is a good program for audio cues and it's free. We just had a great thread about it. Search for it you will find some good threads.

Yeah. I missed that. womp womp.

My MacBook is a mid-2012. I have use Multiplay before and like it, but I hate windows with a passion. What are you all meaning by 2 Audio Channels?

Instead of having like 5 or 7 point surround sound (or many more), you only get two. Which means stereo, left and right! Or two discrete outputs that you can patch wherever your heart desires.

Okay, stereo is what I use anyway because the systems I deal with are outdated and the venue doesn't have the funds to renovate the area.

Well, in my view, it's more about, maybe, having 2 or 3 backstage effects speakers, to make phone rings and such sound more realistic, if you're not actually ringing a phone.

Well, in my view, it's more about, maybe, having 2 or 3 backstage effects speakers, to make phone rings and such sound more realistic, if you're not actually ringing a phone.
@Jay Ashworth I used to have a collection of ring-able phones in desk, wall and Princess models in an assortment of colors and in dial and pushbutton styles. I also had a selection of radios with the power cord connected to the speaker and wired between the ground and neutral contacts so they wouldn't self destruct if someone inadvertently plugged them into a correctly wired live receptacle. This was especially convenient if they needed to be carried on stage by an actor and plugged into what appeared to be a standard duplex receptacle as part of their blocking.
I hated the demise of analog TV as we had a table top TV fed by a 6 conductor cable with the opposite end broke out to three connectors: One pair of conductors fed 120 volts AC to the TV. Another pair carried speaker level audio directly to the internal speaker while the third pair of conductors took the screen from black to normal brightness with a simple contact closure. It was a vacuum tube CRT model and could either be used on a table top or housed within the cabinet of a console model TV. So long as the set was facing up stage, we could have its rabbit ears or dipole antenna tuned to a strong local station and the screen would provide the genuine constantly shifting glow of a real TV receiving a broadcast. The direct connection to the speaker allowed whatever audio we wanted to emanate directly from the internal speaker and the remote 'brightness mute' allowed us to switch the illumination / on or off with split second timing while the 120 volt feed allowed us to have it's tube electronics power up in their normal sweet time as TV's of the era did. It was really neat to have the pre-show music fade as the house went to half then open the curtain to reveal a performer facing downstage towards his TV with the same music coming from the TV in sync as the house speakers faded with the scene lighting coming up.
All this went away for this TV when local stations quit broadcasting analogue TV.
Taking this back to your telephone comments: Over the years, I "acquired" a couple of genuine Bell Telephone / Northern Electric Sola "Sub-Cycle" ringing voltage generators putting out 90 Volts at 25 cycles / Hertz. These were both fairly chunky / beefy devices. My most favorite was the last model I "acquired". It was a small, white plastic encased, "wall-wart" that plugged directly into 120 VAC and output 90 volts at 30 Hertz. In my part of the world, 30 Hertz was a common PBX / Hotel / large office dial tone while 25 Hertz was your typical "Outside Line". Going back in history, we used to have 25 Hertz AC in our homes in Canada and Bell was using 90 volts / 25 Hertz to ring bells. When our electricity changed to 60 Hertz, Bell chose to use direct coupled MG's [Motor Generators] with 60 Hertz motors spinning 25 Hertz generators to develop their 90 volt 25 Hertz ringing voltages.
Nothing sounds more like a phone bell than a phone being rang from a 25 or 30 Hertz 90 volt source. Phones never sound quite right when being rang with 60 Hertz, they just don't sound right.
Thanks @Jay Ashworth for another trip down memory lane.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back