QOTD: Different Lamp Wattages in Series

If only it worked like that. As an engineer with 15 years (electrical power) industry experience I am no where near 150K. Granted, I do make considerably more than the majority of theatre majors fresh out of college.

I like the math. it keeps us thinking and helps us to undertsand why things happen.

Yeah, maybe remove that 1 in $150,000 and you're a lot closer to reality.

This thread reminds me of a picture we were shooting in a steel mill. Our only power was 250 VDC taken from the crane rails, and everything had to be seriesed. This was OK for the arcs; brute with brute, 150 with 150, etc., but somebody on crew decided he could series 2 5 kW Moles with a tener. Should work, right, 10 kW in series with 10 kW? Well, yes, if they're all turned on. Ever seen a 5 kW go off like a flashbulb? Most impressive!

As the resistance of the lamps changes by a factor of 10 from cold to rated voltage then to calculate the blow point would need calculus maths and a good deal more information, lamps also increase their resistance with age, so this question is practically unanswerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back