Quickly dropping a drop and pulling offstage

I'm TDing a college show, and the director wants to quickly drop a fabric drop (18' x 33.5') and have it move offstage as quickly as possible. I've this effect in a few shows, where a drop or cyc falls to the ground and is immediately and extremely quickly pulled into a wing, almost before it hits the ground. (I'm sure there's threads about this but I have no idea what to call it). Any idea how this is accomplished? It's perfect for our show, and if it's not prohibitively difficult or expensive (I have maybe $150 to throw at it) I'd love to do it.
Thanks!

We do this frequently in cirque-style theme park shows. We have a very lightweight and thin curtain made of poly-silk hung from a solenoid-based kabuki release system. A line runs from the bottom of the curtain to a purpose-built motorized winch in a frame with a large spool drum, guide rollers, etc. Release the drop, let it fall half way, then it's rolled onto the winch drum in about 4 seconds. It can go through a trap or into the wings.

The winch is fast and fairly low-torque, so if there's a snag it's going to stall or maybe rip the silk, but not be particularly dangerous.

But for this setup, your in the $thousands.

You could probably make a manual kabuki for $150 in parts, and grab and pull from the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back