Raising Equipment to the Cats

Repeater

Hi all, I'm looking for some way to raise and lower parts, lights, tools, etc. to/from our catwalk, which is about 50 feet above the deck. Perhaps something like a relatively lightweight electric cable hoist, that can be fairly easily moved around in the catwalk and temporarily rigged. Maximum expected load would be around 100 pounds.

Is there something available? What do you guys use?

Thanks!

A rope and a sheave is the traditional way... and the sheave is a luxury. If you are really pulling some weight, a simple block and tackle will work. Any small electric hoist you find won't be rated for overhead lifting. Before you say "I will just be using it to haul stuff up", the next guy who come in will try to hang a truss with it.

...Maximum expected load would be around 100 pounds. ...
Agree with rope and sheave. Any more weight than that and I would recommend a chain hoist, such as the Prostar 1/4T (mounted motor-up). Ropes are actually faster, (at 16 FPM you're looking at 6 minutes round trip).

Hint: Use a rope twice as long as the height because
1) The people on the ground do all the work,
2) No waiting for the return trip, just use the other end of the rope.

In my mind, the sheave is a necessary luxury.

When I've got a couple of especially heavy things coming up to the cats (in the hundred pound range) I'll rig my Petzl ProTraxion to make the job easier, but yeah - rope and pulley is the way to do it. PRO*TRAXION | Petzl

I use a short gin-pole with rope and sheave. it works well lifting MovingLights directly to and from their positions.

the pole allows the lift point to be clear of the catwalk and above the hanging point.

but most of the time a good rope is all that is needed.

Last edited:
Rope all the way indeed.

Often when just dropping/raising lighting fixtures (not heavier fixtures) I'll just lay the rope over the pipe and do without a sheave. However most of the time I'll use my handy dandy block-on-a-chain, with my self-locking 5000# carabiner. Allows me to quickly affix my block (appropriately sized sheave to the rope I am using of course) wherever is most convenient for the lift/drop I am preforming.

After that for smaller objects I simply tie (or affix via bowline and carabiner) a bucket!

If you are lifting something heavier and care to you can even arrange for some further mechanical advantage with various (rated) apparati.

I also agree that if you have something big enough to warrant it, a chain motor would be a much-wanted investment.

Knots are your best friend!!! The simple knots bowline, clove hitch and pipe hitch should be sufficient for most loads.

P.S. Wow I haven't posted in a long time eh?

Wow you guys are slumming it with just the rope. I got me a rope, a pulley AND a 5 gallon bucket ( a recent upgrade from the 1 gallon paint can) Im living the good life now YEEHAW

Wow you guys are slumming it with just the rope. I got me a rope, a pulley AND a 5 gallon bucket ( a recent upgrade from the 1 gallon paint can) Im living the good life now YEEHAW

I prefer linesman buckets like those made by Klein. I just don't trust the handles on plastic buckets or paint cans when lifting things overhead. Other than that, I agree with rope and pulley (though if you can get a pocket motor and don't have to worry about power, go for it).

Once you go to let it back in remember friction is your friend, no sheave when letting it in. A wrap on a pipe or a figure 8 in place of the pulley works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back