Really stupid Gobo question

Hello,

First I just want to say I am NOT a lighting person at all, just trying to fix a problem. I am directing Footloose and we open on Friday. We are in a new location, and I was told to order the two gobos I wanted and two holders in size B. Well, they are too small and we actually need Size A (apparently, I have no idea! lol). So I REALLY want to use them, but it is kinda too late to order new stuff, plus its not really in our budget. Anyways, is there any trick we can use to make it work? Someone said something about flashing to me?

The holder is too small for the light. I did just realize though that I just need the right size holder and my gobos will fit it. For some reason lighting stuff just stumps me! I think I am good though, going to pick up the right size holders later today

It can be confusing, "B" is the size of the gobo, and has nothing to do with the frame fitting in the light itself. Most ellipsoidals use a standard sized frame but a few do not, the source 4 for instance uses a frame that is slightly bigger and the old standard frames will not fit.

Did I miss where you tell us what lighting fixture you have? I've been in a pinch before and taped the gobo in place using gaff. Don't use too much because as it burns it sends out a ton of smoke, but that will eventually stop. You'll have a burn stain as well, so hopefully the lights are yours. Good luck!

Did I miss where you tell us what lighting fixture you have? I've been in a pinch before and taped the gobo in place using gaff. Don't use too much because as it burns it sends out a ton of smoke, but that will eventually stop. You'll have a burn stain as well, so hopefully the lights are yours. Good luck!

I've never tried that trick, but it might work better with the high temp tape you can get at auto supply stores. ( I think it is muffler tape, but not sure ). I know you can use it on the gobo to change the shape and it holds up pretty well.

I've never tried that trick, but it might work better with the high temp tape you can get at auto supply stores. ( I think it is muffler tape, but not sure ). I know you can use it on the gobo to change the shape and it holds up pretty well.

Yep. Muffler tape, available at any auto supply store, is your friend for any sort of high temperature tape job. It's made of thin pieces of aluminum with glue backing.

Also Black Tak is wonderful stuff for uses like this. I would reccomend getting a roll and just keeping it around.

Sure, but the point of using tape is only because I've forgotten to bring the gobo holder. If I'm remembering to bring tape for a gobo then I probably am just going to grab the gobo holder instead.

You can use muffler tape to make a small gobo fit into a larger frame.

Also You can use it to keep gel frames in place. If I'm using old fixtures that don't have gel retention clamp and the fixture is pointed straight down. I wrap a little muffler tape over the slot to keep the gel frame nice and secure.

You can also use muffler tape to secure black wrap to the outside of a fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back