Wireless receiver switched bands

We are using Audio-technica ATW-R310 wireless receivers with belt packs at my church. I have used the receiver in question numerous times without issue but the last time I unplugged the reciever and moved it to another part of the church for a special performance; the receiver switched bands and is in the 600's band while the transmitter is still loading in the 500's band. Any ideas on how to get it back to the correct band.

Have tried a factory reset but the did not work.

You may need to call A-T. That said, despite the incorrect display you should be able to use it just fine. Figure out what frequency you're using compared to the lowest frequency you can go, and then add that to the new low frequency (ex: If you're on 525 MHz and your systems tarts at 520, and your new system starts at 620 MHz, set it to 625 MHz).

I was afraid of that; but that will be on my list of things to do tomorrow. Customer service closed at this point. I tried your second option and it isn't working at the moment. Good thing we had a couple extras to fall back to.

It appears the AT-3000 (the newer version...way to go AT) wireless series was/is sold in 2 bandsplits.

TV25-30 or TV44-49, or band C and band D.

Wireless systems cannot switch between the two bands.
Is it possible the transmitter in the other part of the facility was purchased and uses a different bandsplit (D band vs C band).

The facility may own multiple bandsplit devices.
I would suggest checking the model numbers, unless AT made a device that can switch between different band splits.

Wireless systems cannot switch between the two bands.

It can switch between bands if the firmware gets wonky or corrupted (I've seen it happen). It doesn't mean it'll actually /work/ in the other band (the front end RF filters make sure of that), but the microcontroller will think the device is in the wrong band. Usually the trick is to reflash the unit, but that's not something users are able to do on-site.

It can switch between bands if the firmware gets wonky or corrupted (I've seen it happen). It doesn't mean it'll actually /work/ in the other band (the front end RF filters make sure of that), but the microcontroller will think the device is in the wrong band. Usually the trick is to reflash the unit, but that's not something users are able to do on-site.

I didn't know the programing was able to do that! I was under the impression it was just "fixed" in that band, and the program didn't even know the "other band" existed. Good to know.

Back to subject-I'd still check the actual models, I don't think its too unheard of to have multiple bandsplits on site. After all it's a simple check before you start sending gear back and such.

I didn't know the programing was able to do that! I was under the impression it was just "fixed" in that band, and the program didn't even know the "other band" existed. Good to know.

Yep. They write one version of the firmware and put it on all units, probably setting a bit somewhere in memory to determine what bandsplit the unit is supposed to think it is. Some manufacturers actually detect the bandsplit every time the unit starts up instead, by checking the Local Oscillator (LO) frequency of the receiver. The LO is the circuit that generates the radio frequency signal needed to demodulate the received radio signal.

We are using Audio-technica ATW-R310 wireless receivers with belt packs at my church. I have used the receiver in question numerous times without issue but the last time I unplugged the reciever and moved it to another part of the church for a special performance; the receiver switched bands and is in the 600's band while the transmitter is still loading in the 500's band. Any ideas on how to get it back to the correct band.

Have tried a factory reset but the did not work.

It is unlikely that the unit has actually switched bands, I am more inclined to believe that it is an issue with the display and the firmware as others have indicated. I doubt that it is actually tuning at the indicated frequency.

The good news is that AT's repair service is very fast and very reasonable, so if you need to send it back for any reason they're one of the best manufacturers to deal with.

Last edited:
Now THIS truly shocks me to hear...

It's one of the reasons that we went with Audio Technica 3000 series mics over Shure's SLX when we added 12 new mics to our will call inventory.

I have sent items to AT and had them repaired the day they received them, and shipped back out the following day. The longest I have ever waited for a item to be repaired was one week after they received it, and I have sent them totally bricked receivers. Shure on the other hand still has one of my ULX-P transmitters that I sent off over a month ago.

Both companies are great in comparison to Sennheiser, who half of the time won't even pick up the phone.

It's one of the reasons that we went with Audio Technica 3000 series mics over Shure's SLX when we added 12 new mics to our will call inventory.

I have sent items to AT and had them repaired the day they received them, and shipped back out the following day. The longest I have ever waited for a item to be repaired was one week after they received it, and I have sent them totally bricked receivers. Shure on the other hand still has one of my ULX-P transmitters that I sent off over a month ago.

Both companies are great in comparison to Sennheiser, who half of the time won't even pick up the phone.

While I will agree that Shure's customer service isn't the best out there, I wouldn't ever stoop down to AT's level just because I don't like Shure's customer service.

And FWIW, I will never buy an AT mic from their current products because they all have these *stupid* push button power/mute switches. It's too confusing for non-tech people, and I've had far too many bad expiriences with them. Now, again, Shure's SLX gear has the same thing if I'm not mistaken, so...it's kind of a toss up there.

I can't speak for or again Sennheiser, I've never used their gear. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever worked with anything except Shure and AT. Maybe a cheap Samson or something...

And FWIW, I will never buy an AT mic from their current products because they all have these *stupid* push button power/mute switches. It's too confusing for non-tech people, and I've had far too many bad expiriences with them. Now, again, Shure's SLX gear has the same thing if I'm not mistaken, so...it's kind of a toss up there.

As long as there's a way to lock out the controls, I think pushbutton controls work just fine. Even Lectrosonics uses them on their SM series of transmitters. Besides, nobody should be touching the power controls but you anyway. That's what the mute button on the console is for.

As long as there's a way to lock out the controls, I think pushbutton controls work just fine. Even Lectrosonics uses them on their SM series of transmitters. Besides, nobody should be touching the power controls but you anyway. That's what the mute button on the console is for.

Unfortunately, this occurs in a venue where we don't actually have a sound board...(or the wx mics don't run through it anyhow...), and it's just up to the person wearing the mic to switch it on and off.

In the other venue where they bought these, we don't have somebody available to run sound every time we just need one microphone. If the only time you use the power switch is initial turn on and turn off, why do companies put it on the transmitter?

I would personally love it if I had a transmitter that turned on when I put batteries in it, and turned off when I took them out--save for a way to put it to sleep via a remote. Lectro is very close but you have to lock the controls every time you power on.

While I will agree that Shure's customer service isn't the best out there, I wouldn't ever stoop down to AT's level just because I don't like Shure's customer service.

I can't speak for or again Sennheiser, I've never used their gear. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever worked with anything except Shure and AT. Maybe a cheap Samson or something...
From my experience the only wireless mics from Shure worth purchasing are the ULX-S/P and UHF-R series, the PGX, SLX are just not worth it. The AT 3000 series in my mind performs at the same level as the SLX series, but offers more features. Hell the on-receiver RF level meter and four bar battery meter alone are really great features that the SLX doesn't have. The 3000 series also costs less.

And about the power/mute combo button, on all of our AT 3000's we have the MUTELOC enabled which prevents the mute from engaging. It's a simple thing to do that takes about 10 seconds.

My biggest complaint is the standard dynamic capsule on the hand held transmitters isn't the greatest. Shure's entry level dynamic capsules are better, and of course the venerable SM58 is available, and all of our ULX-P's have Beta 87A capsules. The number of available capsules is the biggest reason to go Shure. This said, the ATM710 condenser capsule is an available upgrade on the 3000 series, and a much better choice for performance purposes.

Last edited:
From my experience the only wireless mics from Shure worth purchasing are the ULX-S/P and UHF-R series, the PGX, SLX are just not worth it. The AT 3000 series in my mind performs at the same level as the SLX series, but offers more features. Hell the on-receiver RF level meter and four bar battery meter alone are really great features that the SLX doesn't have. The 3000 series also costs less.

The ULX-S however does not have a full RF meter either, which, audio quality aside, makes it just as useless as the SLX. So, I would probably go to SLX instead of ULX-S. ULX-P is still my favorite series, with exception of the UHF-R, which I will never have the money to buy... :[.

What is the keystroke to muteloc the at3000 stuff? (don't wanna go to their website, because then AT thinks people are interested by the "site visits". Can't have that).

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

The ULX-S however does not have a full RF meter either, which, audio quality aside, makes it just as useless as the SLX. So, I would probably go to SLX instead of ULX-S. ULX-P is still my favorite series, with exception of the UHF-R, which I will never have the money to buy... :[.

What is the keystroke to muteloc the at3000 stuff? (don't wanna go to their website, because then AT thinks people are interested by the "site visits". Can't have that).

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

To lock the AT transmitters, hit the set key, scroll down to "NO LOCK", hit set again and it will flash, scroll down to either "MUTE LOCK" or "ALL LOCK", hold set till it says stored, scroll down to QUIT, and hit set again. Mute lock will disable the mute function of the power switch, all lock will disable the power switch entirely.

Anyway, for rental mics we've had great luck with the 3000 series. People poo-poo Audio Technica for being cheap, but they're not junk nor all that cheap in my opinion. At least when compared to the real "entry level wireless" with sub $300 MSRP's that have a working range of 20' line of sight.

We've had 3000 series wireless units in our rental stock for about four years now and they've held up remarkably well, only receintly did we have to send some of the original-purchase receivers back to Audio Technica for repair because a bad antenna distro boink'ed their power supplies. They're not perfect, and I do have my complaints about them, but in their price class I don't think they can be beaten even by more expensive systems like the SLX.

Now for our production stuff we're all 5000 series and ULX-P, with a little bit of UHF (the orignal) and a few Lectrosonics MM400 transmitters with a venue system reciever. But when job requires we won't hesitate to pull 3000 series stuff out of rental and toss it to a fumbling CEO that will drop their transmitter seven times durring the course of a production because he can't just leave it alone and in his pocket...

I don't have a lot of experience with the AT 200 and 2000 series though, I don't use them and I don't sell them so they could be complete crap.

To lock the AT transmitters, hit the set key, scroll down to "NO LOCK", hit set again and it will flash, scroll down to either "MUTE LOCK" or "ALL LOCK", hold set till it says stored, scroll down to QUIT, and hit set again. Mute lock will disable the mute function of the power switch, all lock will disable the power switch entirely.

Anyway, for rental mics we've had great luck with the 3000 series. People poo-poo Audio Technica for being cheap, but they're not junk nor all that cheap in my opinion. At least when compared to the real "entry level wireless" with sub $300 MSRP's that have a working range of 20' line of sight.

We've had 3000 series wireless units in our rental stock for about four years now and they've held up remarkably well, only receintly did we have to send some of the original-purchase receivers back to Audio Technica for repair because a bad antenna distro boink'ed their power supplies. They're not perfect, and I do have my complaints about them, but in their price class I don't think they can be beaten even by more expensive systems like the SLX.

Now for our production stuff we're all 5000 series and ULX-P, with a little bit of UHF (the orignal) and a few Lectrosonics MM400 transmitters with a venue system reciever. But when job requires we won't hesitate to pull 3000 series stuff out of rental and toss it to a fumbling CEO that will drop their transmitter seven times durring the course of a production because he can't just leave it alone and in his pocket...

I don't have a lot of experience with the AT 200 and 2000 series though, I don't use them and I don't sell them so they could be complete crap.

2000 series (the new one, not the old one??)-seems like almost the same to me but less frequencies (10 as opposed to 200?). Slightly different front displays too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back