record a show

vincecr

I am trying to record different parts of a program on my laptop to do so I will need some an output from the board. I have an forth inch to eighth inch adapter so um looking on how to get a forth inch line there. I have two possible method and I don't know too much about sound so let me know. 1st way is to turn a Mic line into an auxiliary send in thepatch bay. Then in order to get from a females socket to a forth inch use a direct input backwards. 2nd way is to use one of the powered monitor lines which I have a cable that converts to forth inch but it is powered and I though it would be bad for my computer. Both seem slightly unsafe. Can someone tell me which one is best if any

You'll get much better sound quality with an external sound interface. For $30-$300 you can get ones that take either RCA or XLR inputs and hook to your computer by USB.

I agree with CPF. But in case you're still wanting to use what you have, cluing us in on what that is would help. Also helpful is accurate spelling and grammar...

I agree with CPF. But in case you're still wanting to use what you have, cluing us in on what that is would help. Also helpful is accurate spelling and grammar...

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

;)

"Quarter inch," not "forth inch." While everyone understood what was meant, using industry-standard terms makes communication for all parties easier. Using non-standard industry terms makes one appear to be uneducated, inexperienced, or both.

Letting us know exactly what you are trying to do would help. Are you trying to make a recording of the overall performance or of one channel at a time or of multiple channels at once or even some mix of these?

Also the usual comment that recording relates to different rights than performance, and potentially to different rights depending on the purpose of the recordings, so make sure that you properly address any related legal as well as technical issues.

If you record from an output on the mixer then you will not hear things that are not miced up. You also will not hear the things that are so loud onstage that they are not turned up on the mixer. I guess that what I am saying is that, if you don't record off of an ambient microphone, then it will not sound the same as what any audience member was hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back