Conventional Fixtures Relamping/avoiding fingerprints on Lamps

I have seen it, another guy same rig would wipe his down. No change worth the 5 minutes for lamps

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

On behalf of all lamp manufacturers who are facing hard times with this shift to LED fixtures, we'd like to encourage you all to eat lots of greasy food like French fries and onion rings, and then do your re-lamping. Please do not clean your hands first, and make sure you touch the glass often. And don't clean it with alcohol wipes afterwards.

I'm so sorry to hear about your plight. I have been insensitive and not considered how the lamp manufacturers feel. From this day forward I solemnly swear to only clean my lamps by inserting them into my bare armpit and giving them a couple good twists.

On behalf of all lamp manufacturers who are facing hard times with this shift to LED fixtures, we'd like to encourage you all to eat lots of greasy food like French fries and onion rings, and then do your re-lamping. Please do not clean your hands first, and make sure you touch the glass often. And don't clean it with alcohol wipes afterwards.

With the way lamp prices have been plunging ($13.00 HPLs? SERIOUSLY? They are EASILY worth $20 each!) the least you folks can do is to throw us a bone now and again by ruining perfectly good lamps far ahead of their avg. rated lifetimes. Harrumph!
The solution is simple, first read up on the audiofool cables and other accessories, then introduce a new (much higher priced) series of lamps, featuring hand selected quartz for the greatest purity of color, oxygen free tungsten for cleaner light, hand matched sets of lights so the output is perfectly matched and put a stinking ridiculous high price on them.

I have seen it, another guy same rig would wipe his down. No change worth the 5 minutes for lamps

Haha, I can always count on you to go against the grain. My main question is, an extra 5 minutes per how many fixtures?

Just saying, I still doubt that touching the envelope of a lamp can cause failures....
Duck haven't you ever seen a lamp with the envelope chared and disfigured and a finger print clearly burned into the glass? I try very hard not to have them, but working with student technicians I see one or two every year. Do they always immediately burn out faster than a clean lamp? No. But when you see one, it's very clear what caused the failure.

Duck haven't you ever seen a lamp with the envelope chared and disfigured and a finger print clearly burned into the glass? I try very hard not to have them, but working with student technicians I see one or two every year. Do they always immediately burn out faster than a clean lamp? No. But when you see one, it's very clear what caused the failure.
I have but never on a s4

I'm so sorry to hear about your plight. I have been insensitive and not considered how the lamp manufacturers feel. From this day forward I solemnly swear to only clean my lamps by inserting them into my bare armpit and giving them a couple good twists.

:)

The solution is simple, first read up on the audiofool cables and other accessories, then introduce a new (much higher priced) series of lamps, featuring hand selected quartz for the greatest purity of color, oxygen free tungsten for cleaner light, hand matched sets of lights so the output is perfectly matched and put a stinking ridiculous high price on them.

Riight.... because people have showed they are definitely willing to pay more for a lamp! *LAUGH* We can't even get much more on long-life FLKs & HPLs. They last 5x as long as the regular life ones. Can we charge 5x more? 3x more? 2x more? Nooooooooo. So unfair. What I suggest is you all donate $1 on every lamp you buy, directly to the Manufacturer to help keep them profitable and there for you. I'll send you all my address. I take a check. Also- if you don't have the GE, USHIO and Philips people's address to mail their $1, just send it to me. I'll TRY to remember to forward it. Can't promise anything though.

I have in my barbarian carpenter days given to this fund when I cleaned all of our fixtures - than proceeded to finger Fu.. the lamps. Wiped out the entire budget for lamps for over a year.

Above non-wipe person is possibly one of the lamp changers in the industry that replaces lamps without ever wondering about why they have failed or looking at the evidence provided by the bad lamp. And causes where I work money which hurts my own year end bonus check. Sorry if incorrect about you. Rock and roll and three venues for the show from when the lamp is changed is often when it has to get changed again due to failure. Lots of pro's in the industry stick a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket or have fixture problems such as including a bad ignitor causing a failure not noticed as a cause or touch the lamp. Sorry again if incorrect about any inference. I now bring up Osram's website for the various lamps in use and they in the documents section for each lamp, there is a industry standard recognized PDF manual or set of them on the lamps. How to and troubleshooting. All Professionals should read and study them. Large difference between changing an outer globe PAR or even some older moving light lamps and all else by way of glass used for the outer globe etc.

I inspect bad lamps under a magnifying glass so as to track them on the computer as probably 50% of my working hours. The rest of the time I'm buying stuff and coming up with prototypes. Once in a while I fix gear or help with a build of gear.

By the way if the lamp comes with a factory foam liner for it, you don't need to clean the lamp afterwards if installed by way of that's all you touched. I'm sure the factory has considered that problem. Love the plastic bag liners but often such brands have lamps in boxes that won't survive a drop to the floor of the lamp box. Just a consideration if "touring" especially. Boxes get crushed, develop mold spores etc. No idea of the lamp box gets mold spores if it would have an effect on the lamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Les
Bringing this back onto topic...
Liquid halogen effect chemical cooled in liquid form instead of just halogen gas effect,
So what happens when I touch the lamp's envelope with my greasy, grimy fingers during installation and then during use it breaks and ~1 oz. of this liquid drips all over the inside of my shiny new SourceFour?

Or (I'm guessing) the liquid immediately turns to gas in the presence of oxygen?

45% More output than a standard high output HPL for the wattage, and 3,000 hour lamp life.
I'm excided!!! [sic] too.:) But I bet it'll cost more than $13.00.:(

By the way if the lamp comes with a factory foam liner for it, you don't need to clean the lamp afterwards if installed by way of that's all you touched. I'm sure the factory has considered that problem. Love the plastic bag liners but often such brands have lamps in boxes that won't survive a drop to the floor of the lamp box. Just a consideration if "touring" especially. Boxes get crushed, develop mold spores etc. No idea of the lamp box gets mold spores if it would have an effect on the lamp.

Can you really trust the foam wrapped lamps? There is a guy posting in this very thread who works for a company that does that. He isn't exactly encouraging practices to make lamps last longer. For all we know he spends his days on the factory floor dipping lamps in french fry grease.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back