Remote DMX Software

RGJones

Ok, so I might be getting a new phone soon. It will have Windows Mobile 6 on it and I am looking for remote DMX software for it.

Now, i've tried to do my research on remote software for Windows Mobile, but so far I have not found much of anything. I have searched the fourms and the internet. Also I know that I don't really want an RFU for a specific console. I know that an RFU would probably be easier to deal with but our console is strictly a 1:1 patch (another story) and I can't change it, so all I really need to do is focus dimmers. Also I would like to be able to use it in more than one place, so I was thinking along the lines of Artnet.

I know there are many issues, both physical and ethical about using RFU's but in my circumstance I beleive it is an ok use of one. I just can't seem to find any good programs for Windows Mobile, or even just good information on programs. Please forgive me if i'm just completely missing somthing, and thanks in advance.

Rob

Its going to be difficult to find an app that will output dmx directly from a mobile device. Thats why most console manufacturers make RFUs. They work differently. Instead of sending DMX directly to the dimmers, they send commands to the console and the console executes those commands via DMX.
I think it would be fairly difficult (and demanding on the device) to make any "direct DMX output" mobile apps operate properly. Using a device like that would cause conflicts with your existing console. It would be like running 2 consoles at once.

What are your reasons for not wanting a OEM RFU?

Well my main reason for not wanting a manufacturer RFU is because I don't want to be locked into one console. And in my case its the school's console. I would like to be able to use it for anything DMX, and while the RFU would work better on one console, I am thinking of being able to use it many places. Also It would be nice if I could find a free peice of software to do this with.

I can completely understand not having a program that produces DMX at the device. I hadn't even thought of how that would work out. I have only seen one program that can do this, and I haven't even looked at it much, mainly because of cost.

If that is the case, does anyone know of a computer program that has a remote program? I thought I saw somewhere that Freestyler did this, but I can't seem to find it again. Basicly just a program I can run on an old computer just to output DMX and that I can control remotely.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my newness showing in this area.

Rob

I use something called an airpanel. It's basically a wireless remote monitor. Upside is that it can interface with any computer. Downside is that it's made by Viewsonic, which has really bad customer service. I have an older one, and they will barely acknowledge my existence. I think a new unit will run you about $1K, so it may not be worth it for you.

Also, your desk (whichever one you're using) needs to be internet ready to make this work.

Why not set your windows mobile capable phone up with multiple RFU apps? What is the school's console? ETC im betting. Unless you have an Obsession or a console with Emphasis, you may be out of luck. Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

If you are running a strand, you'll want to look at something like this:
Product Catalog | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand

If you are running an older console that isn't computerized. You are out of luck completely. Get a pocket dmx console: Reviews: Basic Pocket Console® DMX - $319.99 : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm)

So what are you running?

Why not set your windows mobile capable phone up with multiple RFU apps? What is the school's console? ETC im betting. Unless you have an Obsession or a console with Emphasis, you may be out of luck. Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

If you are running a strand, you'll want to look at something like this:
Product Catalog | Strand Lighting - A Philips Group Brand

If you are running an older console that isn't computerized. You are out of luck completely. Get a pocket dmx console: Reviews: Basic Pocket Console® DMX - $319.99 : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm)

So what are you running?

Running a Strand 300.

It's not worth your time. You can DL the RFU software from Strand, but they won't give/sell you the WIFI password unless you buy their hardware. So it is mostly useless.

This of course is besides the fact that Windoze Mobile is about the worst platform ever. I had a WM phone for 2 years, and couldn't wait to get rid of it. According to Businessweek (and I agree) Blackberry and iPhone are the best SmartPhones available. I would even go with a PalmOS phone before I went back to WM. Just my honest opinion.

As has been said, if you want a small device that outputs DMX directly I would go with something like the PocketConsole. If you just need an RFU, you can get the Strand R120 or R130 and hook it up to your console.

I figured that wanting an RFU for the 300 would pose a problem. It makes sense to me, the console being reasonably old and all.

I haven't looked at the phone I want yet but hopefully it won't be as bad as you say. But if it is, thanks for the warning. ;)

I still wish there was software to do what I want but its looking hard to do. But thats ok, I will figure it out some way or another.

Thanks, Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back