"Remote View" and RFU options for Emphasis system + dimmer...

tk2k

Hey all,

Tech Background:
I'm a student at a college, and have a significant background in newer systems (EOS series) as well as straight up DMX, but this hits the inbetween section I'm not as familiar with.

We have 2 emphasis systems and 4 dimmer racks (1 and 2 per theater) but the system is all tied together, when we boot up our faceplates we select the IP/ theater of the system we want to dial into. We have a wifi network for WRFU but the WRFU was broken a few years before I got here

Problem: The console is upstairs with the server, we've been bringing it down to the deck for a while now, but I was wondering if there's some way to have some sort of remote view. In the past, I've used one of those ETC LINK remove video boxes that run over crossover cable, but I'm guessing that won't worth with an emphasis system o i can't just plug it into one of our ethernet jacks...

So at this point everything I can come up with is a hackjob. I'm thinking of setting up a VNC and plugging my laptop into the ethernet system and running a zeroconf protocol like bonjour over it for screen viewing, or some other VNC based protocol.

Problem 2: no RFU. Again, the only thing I can think of is a hack system, buying a USB to DMX adapter and running a shelled web interface so we could access it via smartphone (password protected obviously) or if I got the remote interface working use that to push buttons on the computer.... still... kinda a hack...

Problem 3: we have an ETC sensor rack with a CEM+ module, and no one here knows the administrative password. Is there a default I should try, or is this one of htose 'call etc' things?

Also, we are currently running sw version 1.8, I know ETC is up to 2.8 or something, in terms of the updating is there anything tricky?

Problem: The console is upstairs with the server, we've been bringing it down to the deck for a while now, but I was wondering if there's some way to have some sort of remote view. In the past, I've used one of those ETC LINK remove video boxes that run over crossover cable, but I'm guessing that won't worth with an emphasis system o i can't just plug it into one of our ethernet jacks...

So at this point everything I can come up with is a hackjob. I'm thinking of setting up a VNC and plugging my laptop into the ethernet system and running a zeroconf protocol like bonjour over it for screen viewing, or some other VNC based protocol.

Problem 2: no RFU. Again, the only thing I can think of is a hack system, buying a USB to DMX adapter and running a shelled web interface so we could access it via smartphone (password protected obviously) or if I got the remote interface working use that to push buttons on the computer.... still... kinda a hack...

Problem 3: we have an ETC sensor rack with a CEM+ module, and no one here knows the administrative password. Is there a default I should try, or is this one of htose 'call etc' things?

Also, we are currently running sw version 1.8, I know ETC is up to 2.8 or something, in terms of the updating is there anything tricky?

I need to check back about some of the details here, but I can get a running start at a few of the questions in this post.

You're correct in observing that the Net1 Remote Video Unit will not function on this system. Emphasis systems run on Net2, which is not compatible with the Net1 RVUs. That said, Net2 Video Nodes will interface and you may be able to find one used. I don't know what the price is around these days -- a quick search turned up a unit for $500. ETC Net2 Video Node | Used Lighting - Used Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED, Trussing It might be too pricey for your application, it might not. The keyboard interface might be useful as an RFU from this unit as well.

Regarding CEM+ passwords -- what are you trying to do on the rack that requires the passwords? If you don't have the password available, you'll need to contact ETC Technical Services at 1.800.688.4116.

I'll check in on the rest of the answers in the AM at work. Others may be able to chime in quicker.

I need to check back about some of the details here, but I can get a running start at a few of the questions in this post.

You're correct in observing that the Net1 Remote Video Unit will not function on this system. Emphasis systems run on Net2, which is not compatible with the Net1 RVUs. That said, Net2 Video Nodes will interface and you may be able to find one used. I don't know what the price is around these days -- a quick search turned up a unit for $500. ETC Net2 Video Node | Used Lighting - Used Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED, Trussing It might be too pricey for your application, it might not. The keyboard interface might be useful as an RFU from this unit as well.

Regarding CEM+ passwords -- what are you trying to do on the rack that requires the passwords? If you don't have the password available, you'll need to contact ETC Technical Services at 1.800.688.4116.

I'll check in on the rest of the answers in the AM at work. Others may be able to chime in quicker.

Thanks man. I'll take a look at our budget and see (and contact a few local rental shops) to see if we can swing that if nothing else works out.

In terms of the dimmer racks, one of our racks seems to be set to turn the fan on full bore when it receives signals. It's at least twice as loud as all our other sensor racks, and only has maybe 50 dimmer modules in it. I was thinking maybe there's a fan speed setting somewhere in the config menu. None of the heat sensors or airflow problem warnings are on, so I don't think it's a sensor (as in heat sensor) issue.

Thanks man. I'll take a look at our budget and see (and contact a few local rental shops) to see if we can swing that if nothing else works out.

In terms of the dimmer racks, one of our racks seems to be set to turn the fan on full bore when it receives signals. It's at least twice as loud as all our other sensor racks, and only has maybe 50 dimmer modules in it. I was thinking maybe there's a fan speed setting somewhere in the config menu. None of the heat sensors or airflow problem warnings are on, so I don't think it's a sensor (as in heat sensor) issue.

Is this one rack older than the other racks? When you say louder what do you mean? Does it sound like the fan is spinning faster than the others or does it sound like it's rattling or scraping stuff, there may be a chance that the bearings in that particular rack fan are dying. There is no fan speed settings in the ETC CEM, the fan is automatically controlled by the CEM and the rack temperature sensor. The fan turning on when the rack receives a signal is also normal, all Sensor racks do that. If that one sensor rack is an older model then it is possible that the older racks were just plain noisier than the new ones but I don't know that for sure.

"Problem: The console is upstairs with the server, we've been bringing it down to the deck for a while now, but I was wondering if there's some way to have some sort of remote view. In the past, I've used one of those ETC LINK remove video boxes that run over crossover cable, but I'm guessing that won't worth with an emphasis system o i can't just plug it into one of our ethernet jacks..."

Couple of methods for gaining a remote video feed off an Emphasis server:

1) Use a Net2 Remote Video Interface. Is the RVI you've used in the past a Net1 only box ?, or one of the slightly newer Net2 boxes running in Net 1 ?. If newer it can be configured to run on a Net2 lighting network. Note that it's not connecting via LINK, whihc is a separate ETC communication system for providing feedback from the dimmer rack(s) to the console. Note as well that Emphasis only operates in Net2 and "may" be talking to the dimmers via that system, IF the dimmers are CEM+. Or the dims might be seeing DMX direct from the facepanel/console. So find out of there's an in-place Net2 network.

2) Emphasis was able to communicate to a PC/Laptop device that had Emphasis Off-Line software running. Emphasis Off-Line required WYSIWYG of at least version 15 to operate. It's possible the theater was provided with both pieces of software as it shipped with an Emphasis server. Note that there's a required WYSIWYG dongle that needs to be present for WYSIWYG to run. Once you get all that installed, you can connect the PC/Laptop to the Net2 system and you get a remote terminal that provides console screen data as well as the PC/Laptop functioning as a remote terminal/focus unit, etc... via the PC keyboard.

3) Run a video splitter off a console video output and up to a 100ft. video cable (DB25?) to a remote monitor.

Is this one rack older than the other racks? When you say louder what do you mean? Does it sound like the fan is spinning faster than the others or does it sound like it's rattling or scraping stuff, there may be a chance that the bearings in that particular rack fan are dying. There is no fan speed settings in the ETC CEM, the fan is automatically controlled by the CEM and the rack temperature sensor. The fan turning on when the rack receives a signal is also normal, all Sensor racks do that. If that one sensor rack is an older model then it is possible that the older racks were just plain noisier than the new ones but I don't know that for sure.

No, all racks were installed at the same time. If there is no setting then I can only assume that the temperature sensor is bad... however I am getting no airflow warning problems nor heat alarms. When I mean louder I mean the fan is pushing more CFM than all the others

"Problem: The console is upstairs with the server, we've been bringing it down to the deck for a while now, but I was wondering if there's some way to have some sort of remote view. In the past, I've used one of those ETC LINK remove video boxes that run over crossover cable, but I'm guessing that won't worth with an emphasis system o i can't just plug it into one of our ethernet jacks..."

Couple of methods for gaining a remote video feed off an Emphasis server:

1) Use a Net2 Remote Video Interface. Is the RVI you've used in the past a Net1 only box ?, or one of the slightly newer Net2 boxes running in Net 1 ?. If newer it can be configured to run on a Net2 lighting network. Note that it's not connecting via LINK, whihc is a separate ETC communication system for providing feedback from the dimmer rack(s) to the console. Note as well that Emphasis only operates in Net2 and "may" be talking to the dimmers via that system, IF the dimmers are CEM+. Or the dims might be seeing DMX direct from the facepanel/console. So find out of there's an in-place Net2 network.
We are definitely running on an Net2 system, its call cat5e wired for ethernet, not DMX (we have ETC DMX nodes for converting to standard 5pin)

A few more results from my research today:

Regarding Problem #2: I was able to get a PS/2 keyboard to work with the Emphasis via a Net2 Video Node. I could enter the basic commands, and I would imagine that it's the same shortcuts used in the Expression OLE.

Regarding Problem #3: There are two possibilities. First, you can try swapping CEM modules temporarily to see if the problem follows. Second, (if it doesn't follow the module), you can contact an ETC Authorized Service Provider to have them replace the fan. At the end of the day, however, if the fan is running, the dimmer rack will be quite happy even if it is loud. When the fan is not running is when we have the bigger problems.

Also, run DMX into all the racks - I.E., energize at least one dimmer in all the racks. Is the fan still louder in one rack ?.

I have one rack who's fan is 365/24/7 beceause it has the Ghost Light as well as house lights, getting DMX from a Unison system (also always on). My other 3 racks are not always receiving DMX, thus are sometimes the fans are not running.

So I've got a copy of wysiwyg release 23... but when I try to instal the ETC software it says i need release 17, any ideas?

Also, in relesae 27 i'm supposed to be able to connect to dimmers, things like that, via etcnet. I have the link set to use ETCnetv2 and EDMX, however my computer won't get an IP and it won't discover any. So far the only cable i've used is the kind we use to connect our faceplate to the cat5 etcnet jack on the wall.

Emphasis only talks/interfaces with WYSIWYG 15 to 17. The software agreement/license between ETC and Cast Software expired with versions 18 and up ( or something like that). Find a WYG version 15 to 17 and a dongle.

I had an Emphasis system for a number of years and you don't have to operate the facepanel console and server in the same location. They just have to be on the same network segment.

If you are already moving the facepanel to the deck are you using its video ports? or do you need an additional location with video? I would also see if anyone was there when the system was installed. They should have a binder with discs that include WYSIWYG and Emphasis offline (as well as restore discs) and a dongle to make it function as a client instead of offline software. This was included standard for most Emphasis installs.

If you dont' have any luck, PM me. I think I still have my software and usb dongle. We upgraded to Ion a while ago when the Emphasis server died. Also a word of advice, if its the Dell brand server, make sure it has plenty of air space and you're not blocking the air vents. Upon autopsy we found that there are plastic baffles inside that route cold air in a specific path. While we hadn't blocked them, where we stored ours was not ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back