Rental Home Electric Issues... Need thoughts on Condition.

Brandofhawk

So, I'm kinda looking for some advice here about my home/rental unit.

It's not a question of doing any sort of work on the electric, but just a thought on the general condition. I'd like some feedback and thoughts as to whether to consider this uninhabitable or not.

Recently just moved into an apartment in Los Angeles. When we first moved in, all the electric in the house was working. About the 3rd day in living here, I started hearing sparking coming from the circuit panel. And so (carefully with protection), I opened the box and SAW sparks from behind one of the ancient breakers. :shock: So I flipped off that breaker (it was the one the fridge was on... every time the fridge kicked on it would spark). Called the landlord and he came out two days later and put in a brand new fuse... but that next day a 2nd circuit blew (also fried), this one was the AC/Heater.

After those repairs, one of the closets, and upstairs bathrooms wouldn't work but everything else was fine. So I guessed something got pulled. Called him again and he got that fixed.

Fast forward 4-6 weeks. Tonight I was sitting at my computer and just shutting it down to go to bed. About 10 minutes later (and only noticed because I was still using my desktop speakers) the entire wall of power went out. (outlets on that wall + the wall adjacent in the next room). I haven't called him yet but will in the morning.

So there is the situation, what I'm concerned about is that the work done wasn't by a licensed electrician (It was a handyman). The fact that two breakers got cooked also has me concerned but they were older breakers. I'm curious what you guys think about the living situation here. I feel that power could potentially go out in anyone of the rooms that I'm in at any time. I'm also concerned about there being an electrical fire from some of this stuff going bad. But I'd like to hear what you guys say as you have more knowledge about electrics than I and I trust what this community has to say about anything.

Which manufacturer made the panelboard and breakers?

You mention both fuses and circuit breakers: it seems odd to have both used at the same time in a residential installation.

I'd almost put money on that being an old Federal Pacific (FPE) panel. If it is, the whole panel (not just the breakers) needs to be replaced. They are known fire hazards (especially the ones marked "Stab Lok") and a lot of finance companies won't even loan against a house with one installed. It could also be that the breakers are just at the end of their lifespan and all need to be replaced, namely if it is another brand (have all the buss bars checked - much like lighting fixture sockets and lamps, once the disease spreads...). Have you noticed any other anomalies like lights dimming or getting extremely bright for any period of time?

Would you be willing to get an actual electrician in to check? I don't know your landlord, but he likely has an interest in saving money, which would translate to being not quite keen on changing the panel. But if it has to be done...

Last edited:
Bet it's an old FPE panel they were notorious for that. It's cheaper to buy a whole new panel rather than buying surplus or the "new FPE" style breakers. FPE went out of business several years ago and a different company started making breakers for their panels but at almost 50 bucks a piece for a 15-20 amp breaker it gets expensive real quick. They start arcing just inside of the handle and burn from there. If they are arcing from the buss bar than the panel has to be replaced, the particular slots have been compromised. There is lots of documentation on FPE panels causing electrical fires online.

I'd almost put money on that being an old Federal Pacific panel. If it is, the whole panel (not just the breakers) needs to be replaced. They are known fire hazards (especially the ones marked "Stab Lok") and a lot of finance companies won't even loan against a house with one installed. It could also be that the breakers are just at the end of their lifespan and all need to be replaced. Have you noticed any other anomalies like lights dimming or getting extremely bright for any period of time?

Have to "Second" that thought! Federal Pacific was one heck of a fire waiting to happen. Between the breakers that would not trip, the #8 screws that were expected to be a conductor of 200 amps, Fuzzy-buzzy breakers that would hum and spit, and a whole list of other problems, if you have a Stab-Lok breakers, get rid of the panel at all cost! (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

Edit: Oops! Make that "Third!" Just caught Tim's post!

Here's another passenger on the Federal train.

If the handles are red, you're screwed.

Which manufacturer made the panelboard and breakers?

You mention both fuses and circuit breakers: it seems odd to have both used at the same time in a residential installation.

My apology , It was late when I was typing earlier. Only breakers no fuses. The older terminology kept slipping in and I kept trying to fix it as it would come.

And it doesn't look like an FPE panel, it is newer than that but no makers marks on it. I'm tempted to call in an inspector, I just don't exactly know what my rights as a tenant are for doing things like that.

My apology , It was late when I was typing earlier. Only breakers no fuses. The older terminology kept slipping in and I kept trying to fix it as it would come.

And it doesn't look like an FPE panel, it is newer than that but no makers marks on it. I'm tempted to call in an inspector, I just don't exactly know what my rights as a tenant are for doing things like that.

You can call anyone you want to look at anything you want. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

If your laws are anything like NY, if you think there is a problem and your landlord is not dealing with it in a timely manner you can paid to get it fixed and send them a bill.

Sorry, I'm traveling now... before thinking about taking pictures. I am having my housemates check into getting an inspector out there and/or getting the landlord to get a licensed electrician to come work on things as opposed to his handyman (just for our own ease of mind).

No worries - I've slipped up and called them "fuse boxes" before. Probably because I grew up in a house with only screw-in fuses. I'd blow a fuse with my fog machine or double-derby's and have to ask my dad "does my room take a red fuse or a blue fuse???"

Give your local authority a call, be it city, township, or county. They should have an inspector on staff for rental properties. In most places they're supposed to be inspected periodically. I had one apartment I lived in that had terrible electrical problems (lights would turn on when you closed the door). Township inspector came in and made the land lord get it all fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back