Repository of Lighting Instrument Weights

gabe

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a software application and I was wondering if there is some sort of database or repository that is freely available that has the weight of all common theater lighting fixtures. I know that vectorworks has this info built into each lighting instrument object but I would rather not dig through all of those screens manually. Does such a thing exist?

If you look up the specs for a lighting instrument, it will give you its wieght. I have a chart at work with all our house instrument weights on it.

I have no idea how accurate this is but (never really more then glanced at it a few times), I found this back in high school. The Stage Lighting Fixture Tables

If you're inclined the Photometrics Handbook does have weights in it if it was in the manufacturer's catalog at the time.
Amazon.com: Photometrics Handbook (9780911747379): Robert C. Mumm: Books

EDIT: I didn't get the impression you were making a rigging application, since you asked if there was somewhere else that had the information, which means you are trusting someone elses data. If you are doing something involving rigging, ignore the above links.

Please cross check your weights with the manufacterer, if you are making a program to automatically calculate rigging loads IT HAS TO BE ACCURATE!!!!! Otherwise you're gonna tell people the wrong weight and they are going to have a runaway. This is a safety issue!!!

What style clamps? Gel frame? How many cuts of gel? What style connector? What degree ERS? (different lens have different weight) I would suggest being accurate to at least a tenth of a pound. After that you will need to make custom counter weight bricks for top of each electric. I would suggest welding some 3/4" grade 8 bolts to a brick (make sure the top place will still fit) a 3/4" nut will provide enough weight that you will be able to fine tune the weight to make it with in a 1 pound tolerance. I would tell you my system for counter acting cable weight but it would volatile the TOS.

</sarcasm>

In reality the best way to measure weights would be to get a scale and spend some time in the theatre. Weight the lights as you use them because the manufacture spec might not include all the hardware needed for hanging and operation. If you wish to make a database for every fixture, good luck. The specs will be close enough. If you are coming that close to the WLL you might want to look at another approach, for loading weight remember that your tolerance is +/- 1/2 the smallest brick.

Yes, in fact there is a FREE piece of software that has all of this info plus power formulas, truck pack calculator, bridle calculator, and a host of other stuff I have yet to use.

Its a must install for anyone who does lighting, rigging, or any other thing in a theatre.

LD Calculator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back