Rev 33 for IEM

indigo7us

Hi there I have seen these popping up in our showroom lately, and curious if anyone here can describe what they do in a quantifiable manner.

REV33.Com

Musicians using them swear by them, but I can't seem to figure out what they actually do.

Any info?

It's a passive circuit, which pretty well limits what it could be doing. From reading their marketing vagaries and the AES paper, I'd say they are blocking the tiny amount of DC that might be present and applying a low-pass filter. The idea seems be to prevent driver offset and reduce high frequency distortion products. It might also be doing a bit of subtle frequency response shaping and filtering of subsonic energy.

There is a simpler, cheaper way for musicians to reduce hearing damage. Reduce the sound levels!

Sounds kind of like a tweaked earthworks kickpad for IEM's. Maybe it trims out some 2-5k to cut out some of the bleary mids. I might borrow one from our performers run pink noise through it into an rta to see how it's shaping things. A few guys swear by it, but I'm skeptical. Seems like a way to separate $150 from musicians.

Hi there I have seen these popping up in our showroom lately, and curious if anyone here can describe what they do in a quantifiable manner.

REV33.Com

Musicians using them swear by them, but I can't seem to figure out what they actually do.

Any info?

The $15 demo isn't terrible if you are genuinely interested in it -- if you do, report back!

The demo at least implies they think people will buy it when they try it which shows some confidence.

I'll borrow it from the band for a bit and report back.

Or it shows really good marketing. There is a long history in audio products of doing absolutely nothing to the sound but people buy because the marketing hype and fancy trade dress have convinced them to hear an improvement.

For example, there are companies selling $1,000 power cords, which supposedly make sonic improvements to high end stereo systems. Never mind how the electricity got to the wall plug, never mind the voltage regulation and massive filter capacitors in the DC supply, or the double-blind testing that proves it is snake oil, there are fools that will part with their money for that stuff. Monster Cable has been around for decades doing this.

I'm not saying it is necessarily the case with Rev33, but it is possible and there is no evidence to the contrary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back