The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Rigging/Automation Calculators

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Allison Ray, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Allison Ray

Allison Ray Member

What type/brand/kind of calculator do you recommend for learning and doing rigging and automation?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. DuckJordan

DuckJordan Well-Known Member

Pen and Paper, Honestly the formulas are the most important part, if you can't understand the formulas you wont understand the physics. Theres a reason why touring riggers don't bother to take their phone out of their pocket until the points are up they can do it all in their head.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. What Rigger?

What Rigger? I'm so fly....I Neverland.

Part rigger, part bouncer. All machine.
    Duck makes a legit point, however...

I'm curious what you're aiming for, Allison? Are you new to rigging and automation? Trying to accomplish something specific? Looking to upgrade on something you already own?
    I'm not sure what an "automation calculator" is and in my experience have never had use for one in terms of programming or operation of automation.
    For the sake of the folks playing along at home, let's be clear that "rigging" and "automation" are not interchangeable terms- although they do interface to do awesome stuff.

So yeah, paint us a bigger picture so we can get you pointed in the right direction. Thanks!
    -Brian

TimMc and RonHebbard like this.
  4. DavidJones

DavidJones Active Member

You can look up the common formulas used in rigging. ETCP has a nice "cheat sheet" that you can even use on the test. As far as a calculator, for basic lighting trusses, video wall, and PA, I pretty much calculate loads individually, as what I do is fairly basic, and a spreadsheet can be useful. I don't usually get more complex than using the cantilever from the aforementioned ETCP formula sheet.

Now a useful ap is Bridle. It's very handy to calculate hardware needes to hit a specific point. Most pro riggers know the places they work very well, and know by intuition and experience what will be needed to hang a point anywhere in their buildings, but if you get into some C and D markets, it can be pretty useful to tell a rigger to that a bridle leg needs to be a 10', a 5' and 4 links. There are more complex professional computer programs out there, but I have not really had the need for them in my travels.

Most automation systems have proprietary software that has accounted for system parameters and safety limits. Manufactures do offer training courses on these in various forms.

Lynnchesque and RonHebbard like this.
  5. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    It wasn't always so. Though they did provide basic calculator, the swag sort, for the first exam.

6. What Rigger?

What Rigger? I'm so fly....I Neverland.

Part rigger, part bouncer. All machine.
    Am I too early to designate this a "ghost post"? @BillConnerFASTC , what say you?

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@What Rigger? Yes.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron (My briefest post to date) Hebbard

Scarrgo and What Rigger? like this.