Rigging Certifications in denver

sww1235

Hi CB:

I am in highschool and have always been interested in theatre and tech in general. I recently started looking for other ways to practice my craft, ie. lighting/sound/gaffing/rigging. As you can tell I am kind of a jack of all trades.

sorry for the long background but my question is what is the procedure to get certified as a proffessional rigger in Denver CO where I live.

There is only one rigging certifier, ETCP. Do some searches around here for more info on that. You need to have at least 2 years of experience (at 40 hours a week straight for 110 weeks) plus an undergrad degree to even think about taking the test. Without the degree, you need 3 years of experience. Right now, go out and get work on the bottom of the ladder. Learn. Do anything. Ask questions. Come back to getting the cert when you are ready. By the time you are ready to take the test, you should not have to study. If you don't know the stuff, you should not be taking the test.

Also, describe what "rigging" is to you. In the film world, a rigger and a gaffer can be similar things.

Your best bet is to find a University with a big theater and someone really good on staff who really knows rigging to learn from. Not every University does. So search carefully.

There are workshops to get you started but they are brief time and you'll probably have to fly somewhere else in the country to take them. Jay Glerum is the man for standard theatrical rigging concepts. The cost of his seminar is about $800 or so if I remember right. It's where everyone should start. There's nothing on his website schedule right now for beginners but you can e-mail him to find out more. Also NAAFED is a 4 day workshop on flying people which I hear is great, but it's not really meant for beginners. I suggest you take Glerum's class first then move on to NAAFED.

If you're in Stapleton you're close to Barbizon, give them a call and see if they have anything up your alley. I know that InnoGroup/opera shop was looking for hands about a month ago and you might try them as a starting job too get your feet wet. There are many university's with decent programs in and around Denver. Take a look at Metro, DU, CSU, UNC and even CU.

Thanks everyone

I have applied for an internship with Aurora Fox Arts Center for starters and I will see where it goes from there.:)

sorry for the long background but my question is what is the procedure to get certified as a proffessional rigger in Denver CO where I live.
Just to clarify some terminology, 'professional certification', 'certification' and a 'certificate' can be three different things. There are several rigging classes and seminars offered by manufacturers or third parties that will provide some very good education and a certificate, which essentially identifies that you took the class. A manufacturer may provide certification for their equipment and there are certifications based on complying with defined standards (e.g. ISO 9001). However, professional certification is usually much more involved and typically entails some required combination of formal education, experience and testing. In some professions certification may also relate to government mandated and controlled licensing. And many professional certifications require periodic renewal for which there may be related continuing education requirements.

This is not intended to deter anyone from pursuing professional certification in any area, being able to to put multiple acronyms after your name can be very beneficial, but I wanted to address the differences as they are often misunderstood.

P.S. - Good luck with the internship!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back