Rigging issues I encountered in my venue recently...

Doug Lowthian

Not looking for rigging advice, per se. Just wanted to share a few photos of questionable rigging that I will be approaching management about. Comments that would help me express the problem would be helpful:

Light batten rigging: a 30 foot bar with 20 slimpars, 3 wilreropes slung over an I beam above the plaster ceiling and secured by 1 wirerope clamp and a bit of zip tie. Might be two clamps up top.

Mess of what appears to be a wire the size and feel of coat hanger wire holding up part of a fixture with CFLs

Manilla (?) rope holding batten with border. No idea when it was installed/inspected. Venue is 80 yrs ol; guessing maybe at least 15 yrs ago or more.

It does look a little dodgy. Single clips do not appear correct and definitely do not like natural fibre rope holding weight overhead - sure to drop it in a fire but could just rot anyways.

There are a couple of companies in twin cities that could do a proper inspection and report for not too much, especially if you could work with them on schedule and hopefully find a time when they have a person somewhere north of twin cities. It would be worth it to have that in writing and at least a quote for the work, which you could decide to bid.

It does appear that the single Crosby is on the Live side of that wire rope in the first picture. The tail is too long and someone decided to hold it out of the way with a zip tie. Obviously a redundant clip would be in order and a trimming of the cable as well. Personally at least two more points would be in order and replacing the wire rope with Chain would be best.

I agree with Bill there are a couple of companies in your neck of the woods that could provide a Rigging Inspection and, most likely, discover other issues you might not even know you had.

Thanks for your help. Any recommendations for a rigging inspector/consultant would be appreciated. You can PM me if you prefer. I found more questionable rigging; Opening night tonight so will not be addresed till post show; scary stuff though!

The Wenger/Clancy/SECOA office in Minneapolis is where you could start. Try reaching Dan Culhane there and use my name. He'd offer good references if not an actual proposal. I think Gopher Stage lighting has some good folks. Reach out to Michael James or Cherie Gallinati there. I'm not certain but think the LVH east AKA SECOA East and now I think Stage Concepts folks - but they are somewhere around there.

The Wenger/Clancy/SECOA office in Minneapolis is where you could start. Try reaching Dan Culhane there and use my name. He'd offer good references if not an actual proposal. I think Gopher Stage lighting has some good folks. Reach out to Michael James or Cherie Gallinati there. I'm not certain but think the LVH east AKA SECOA East and now I think Stage Concepts folks - but they are somewhere around there.
Thanks Bill;

Just wrapped up a weekend of Willie Wonka so just gettting back to these posts. Will look into this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back