My venue has the world's worst light rig. Need help making it suck less.

Oh no question ADJ fills a market. A lot of people on this forum have a negative view of them, but they have a significant market, the real problem is using them for things they were not designed for. This is a situation they were designed for, IMO. I just like the build quality of ColorKey LEDs better.
ADJ and other low end equipment get knocked here because many are trying to use them in a setting they aren't made for. You are correct that they quite good at DJ and small club settings, against a full stage wash of S4s and fresnels, not so much. In a small venue like the OP then they should do fine.

If you want to run with just pars and cheap stuff then sure. But if you start buying up source 4's brand new $2,000 will run out pretty fast. Sure you could stretch it till you ran out of power probably but if you want color mixing leds you've probably got to factor in a new board too. Of course adding to practically nothing to begin with would make a huge difference. What degree were the S4's that you picked up? and how far is it to the back of the room?

You mean the beam spread? Dunno how do I find that info? They've been kicking around the venue like a lot of other gear that nobody did anything with.

You mean the beam spread? Dunno how do I find that info? They've been kicking around the venue like a lot of other gear that nobody did anything with.

Near the front of the barrel, there should be a silver number. Most likely 19, 26, or 36 but can be 5º, 10º, 14º, 19º, 26º, 36º, 50º, 70º and 90º. Sorry, but I can't find any pictures that demonstrate the location better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They say 26 degrees. I was thinking about putting them about 30 feet back in the room up about 9 feet just below the rafters.

Last edited:
Oh... I was thinking of the silver writing on the side. And, if I understood Mathematical Formulas for Lighting, then those fixtures about 20 feet back would give you a beam diameter of just over 9'.

Yeah they have the little sticker on the barrel generally.

The 26 degrees at 30 feet back should give you around a 13 foot diameter pool depending on how it's focused

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting this but have a legitimate question for the world at large. Could you take a lag bolt the same size as what goes in a c clamp and bolt a light into a beam? And then safety around the beam? It's not something I think I'd try but are there anything that would make it inadvisable? Other than it would be hard to pan it could that work for a permanent install?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The room has wooden rafters and no trussing. How should I hang these Leko's safely?

I suppose you could use unistrut. That would be quick and cheap. I don't see a problem with lagging it straight to the rafters as long as you use enough fasteners per strut and don't use bolts so big that they'll split the wood. As far as safety cables go, you might be able to weld (pre-rig) or bolt forged eye bolts to the unistrut next to where you plan on hanging lighting fixtures (assuming that you can't get a safety cable around the rafter). That said, I'm not exactly sure how people usually safety a fixture to unistrut when it is flush with a solid surface. I do know that I regularly see distribution transformers and unit heaters hanging from unistrut and threaded rod with no provisions for safety cables at all.

Depending on the situation, you could also suspend pipe (even if you only suspend it 3-4"), but I still think unistrut would be best as it is cheap, designed for overhead suspension, and will get your lights as close to the ceiling as possible.

You may also need some big, heavy-duty washers between the fixture's yoke and the unistrut nut. This will allow you to pivot easier while reducing the surface area for compression against the strut, as well as to reduce the risk of the yoke getting bound up in the strut channel.

I suppose you could use unistrut. That would be quick and cheap. I don't see a problem with lagging it straight to the rafters as long as you use enough fasteners per strut and don't use bolts so big that they'll split the wood. As far as safety cables go, you might be able to weld (pre-rig) or bolt forged eye bolts to the unistrut next to where you plan on hanging lighting fixtures (assuming that you can't get a safety cable around the rafter). That said, I'm not exactly sure how people usually safety a fixture to unistrut when it is flush with a solid surface. I do know that I regularly see distribution transformers and unit heaters hanging from unistrut and threaded rod with no provisions for safety cables at all.

Depending on the situation, you could also suspend pipe (even if you only suspend it 3-4"), but I still think unistrut would be best as it is cheap, designed for overhead suspension, and will get your lights as close to the ceiling as possible.

You may also need some big, heavy-duty washers between the fixture's yoke and the unistrut nut. This will allow you to pivot easier while reducing the surface area for compression against the strut, as well as to reduce the risk of the yoke getting bound up in the strut channel.

I think UniStrut is considered less likely to fail than the C clamps... I never see safeties with unistrut when its flush mounted... Never thought it was needed.

Actually after examining my options I'm considering hanging everything we got on UniStrut. It's cheap, safe, and works well with low ceiling like ours, and we never move cans, just aim. Right now everything is just f%#*^ng clamped to the rafters with no safeties or anything! Not even lighting clamps. Just hardware store clamps! Yoke to rafters. No bolts anywhere. That's gonna change first thing. Im not happy about it all. I moved all the cans around and cleaned up the wiring big time and put safeties on everything for now but I think UniStrut is the best solution.

As for the Leko's.. If I put them at 30' back the field is 15 or so feet wide. And they're not zooms. So I either get aperture gobo's , Move them up and risk them being too hard on the performers, or forget using them spots and use them for washes and gobo's. Maybe it's time to learn how to cut gobo's..

Last edited:
A lot of the cheaper dimmer packs (like ADJ/Elation/Chauvet) have a hole for a c-clamp that you can run a bolt through. It's hard to explain, so here's a picture:

Figure A:
proxy.php

Figure B:
proxy.php

You can mount the packs either flat against the strut (horizontally, using the hole on the rear of the pack in Figure B), or hanging down vertically (using one or more of the holes on the top of the pack in Figure A). I'd prefer vertically, just because if the pack is horizontal, there is no way that bolt will keep the pack from swiveling a bit or hanging down slightly on the opposing end (even though the horizontal orientation will get it more out of the way).

If you're using something like a wall-mount NSI with a back plate and one hole in each corner, you'll need to buy or build some brackets.

Last edited:
If you don't have big $$ for an upgrade, then quite frankly LEDs are the LAST thing you should be considering. You should contact Rental houses (PRG, Upstaging, 4-Wall, Bandit, etc., etc., to name but a few) about pricing for buying some of their used equipment (ERS fixtures, Fresnels, etc.). You can easily get used Source Fours for half the price of a new one this way.

As for Safety cables and unistrut-- Safety cables are ALWAYS needed. That's the entire purpose of it-- to be there as a backup safety precaution if the primary hanging method fails. It isn't a worry that the unistrut (or C-Clamp) is going to mechanically fail, so much as any system is only as good as the person installing it, and EVERYONE has an off-day and can hang something wrong on Uni-strut or with a c-clamp, causing a potential safety concern. Safety chains are their to cover our butts that one time someone doesn't hang it 100% correctly or double-check their work. Bumpers on cars (and Airbags) Shouldn't be needed either-- but they sometimes are, and that's when they shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back