Roscolene Gel Conversion

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Did my search on the site, also did a Wikkee search but couldn't past the "A" it leads one to as a dead end.

Working on a 20" six 6" frame size hand color rotator from the 50's at the moment. Something like this: http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/T61C57/t61c57p73.jpg only six hole and not painted - only sheet metal. Still difficult to work on in my dad perhaps was there while this was in use - that so as to preserve pencil ownership, yet prevent rust. Even more difficult was in addiding the stainless steel window screening. Totally screwed up cutting it. Will work but not my best.

Not copied to my current laptop this chart - must be at work or the tower at home. Didn't I post this conversion chart before for gel where I combined a number of books and other sources?

Anyway, this color wheel in doing the swatch book to gel conversion is as follows. (Yes I have a Roscolene swatch book, but sorry my only copy.)

Looking at if possible in conversion to LEE but otherwise the following:
834 Salmon Pink
878 Yellow Green
807 Dark Lemon
848 Water Blue
877 Medium Blue/Green.

Also a #801 which didn't match as close to the roscolene swatch book in as much frosted. Could be more dirty than able to clean, but didn't match.

Thinking Lee as they are a little more solid like Roscolene - this given I checked my gel files and have nothing large enough in Roscolene to fit.

Any help in conversion given I would rather reproduce the color than just go with something similar, but Roscolene is a bit rare.

Last edited:
I am just interested, were the colors you listed a 'factory spec' or maybe a Rosco suggested set of color? Or other? What size color does it take - would it be 7 1/2"? I'm just full of questions! This is another interesting artifact of lighting history. :cool:

I am just interested, were the colors you listed a 'factory spec' or maybe a Rosco suggested set of color? Or other? What size color does it take - would it be 7 1/2"? I'm just full of questions! This is another interesting artifact of lighting history. :cool:

Wanted to go Lee filters for texture type of thing only. Did some searching of other sources but as told in lineage.. there are some colors Roscolene had that are not made. Roscolene and not Roscolux as very different in type of gel. Historic was important but I didn't have similar colors in stock of Roscolene.

Factory spec. in that I cleaned them up as well as I could and it was fairly good in sufficiently to compare to a Roscolene swatch book. If Roscolene or something else just as early if not older - don't know but do know that the color didclean up with effort sufficient.

834 Salmon Pink
878 Yellow Green
807 Dark Lemon
848 Water Blue
877 Medium Blue/Green.

Was able to find my hand written gel conversion chart at work - again at home without it. (Should have thumb drived it and will TBA.) All of the above except "Dark Lemon" was found to a close enough match to Lee - took some number searching time. Dark Lemon in searching Rosco, Lee, Gam, Apollo and others - no match. I eventually did find one similar enough in the Lee line that was the goal. Not the exact but had say the "spirit" of it. (I'm a college educated Rosco person and stand by that memorization - this is not a sales add for Lee.) Less was more in a concept of what these gel colors are - yet under light they are more even if subdued in appearance.

On the frosted color, couldn't match or even come similar to it - but it was probably mostly dirt and age in that factor of not matching. Went a Rosco frost in most matching and exception.

Apology in colosing up and tossing out the post it notes to the gel pulling person. What current gel is in the 20" wheel with six 5.3/4" holes in it, this is sealed up is missing. Rear part of the wheel gets pounded around the front part of it as with screw bolting. This makes for structure and keeping the window screening and gels in place - not a very efficient way to do it but as done. Metal fatigue concerns and difficulty to realistically open it up again prevents me from opening it up again - this even given I saved the color numbers chosen.

Can re-create on conversion chart and give choices for the unknown but the Dark Lemon and frost exact colors are unknown unless I open it up. The wheel is now closed up and will not be opened again.

On size of gel, it's a 20" disc with 5.3/4" holes in it spaced about 3/4" away from it's edges. Gels were 7.1/2" in size and cut down to fit without overlap. Scotch fiberglass hi-temp electrical taped down in doing so. Covering the hole was the goal and cut down after was the fact, as with the screening for it. Screening was a bit too much short but did work out better that way in only fitting rear plate into the folded part. Initially I thought the fold over from the front plate was only for retaining the screening, instead it was also for the rear plate and perhaps exclusively for it.

Did use replacement Stainless Steel for the screening in having better heat reatings though. Screening if asked went to the outboard side so as to help prevent the gel from ballooning outboard and escaping.

Screening that was on the accessory was toast.

Was going to mount it on a Kliegl #1365E from about 1950, but than after under way of restoring it, I measured it's gel frame size... no chance of fitting. Going to instead display it on a later 50's LECO brand #870 Leko. It will be in the lunch room at work along with other accessory pieces I'm working on both fixtures to mount them on and the accessories for. This as opposed to the main museum located in other rooms. Lunch room is gonna look cool once done.

Factory spec. in that I cleaned them up as well as I could and it was fairly good in sufficiently to compare to a Roscolene swatch book. If Roscolene or something else just as early if not older - don't know but do know that the color did clean up with effort sufficient.

834 Salmon Pink
878 Yellow Green
807 Dark Lemon
848 Water Blue
877 Medium Blue/Green.

Cool project. Packrat that I am, I have cuts of three of these Roscolene colors at 10" x 10" in size. Plus some original sheet stock (mainly partials). I'd be happy to send you these three if you're interested. I have the 807 (THE DARK LEMON!), 834, and 877.

fwiw, the Roscolene book I'm looking at here is dated 1982.

I can easily pop them in the mail. Just let me know.

Reid :cool:

You can still buy roscolene from some places but not all that you used to be able to. They've discontinued some, though none that Ship listed are, as far as I know.

Theatre House, Inc. 1-800-827-2414: Roscolene Filters

Thanks all but it's a closed up wheel, but thanks for this info to me and all.

Unfortunately with metal fatigue for what ever brand of color wheel this is... it's alrady toast in bend in places for being done now. Could easily re-produce the color wheel in making a new one, but not the concept I was working towards.

Better reflection... ask before just sealing it up next time in thinking Roscolene was gone from the industry beyond my limited stock and or what home thater proper I have contact to.

Still in the garage and lit from lighting above... looks good and a no, I cannot open it up again short of further damamage to the frame.

Design choice of going Lee in not yet knowing of sources for Roscolene presented, but I really cannot metal fatigue this frame much more in already stressing it twice. Am close and a shame I didn't ask sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back