Odd Gel Names...

Derek, I think you have teased me with the story of Bastard Amber, but never actually told me. I do somehow know, or at least have heard, that the story of it being a "mistake batch" is untrue.

Really? I've been under the impression that it was merely a mistake all this time.

Bastard (color)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In theatre lighting, a bastard color refers to a color, typically in a color gel, wherein the predominant color is blended with small amounts of complementary colors; for example, a "bastard orange" gel would produce predominantly orange light with undertones of blue. Bastard colors appear warmer, more neutral, and more natural than pure colors and are used to replicate natural light.

Salmon"illa", Purplexed, Rhythm & Blue, Rust Assured, Lavender Retriever, Just Peachy, Scandalous Scarlet, Simply Mauvelous, V.I.Pink and Yellow Snow are among my favorite Apollo gel names not already mentioned.

Bastard (color)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In theatre lighting, a bastard color refers to a color, typically in a color gel, wherein the predominant color is blended with small amounts of complementary colors; for example, a "bastard orange" gel would produce predominantly orange light with undertones of blue. Bastard colors appear warmer, more neutral, and more natural than pure colors and are used to replicate natural light.
Absolute garbage definition; one of the worst I've seen. Has anyone ever heard of a "bastard" color other than Bastard Amber? I haven't. Furthermore, it is optically impossible to "produce predominantly orange light with undertones of blue." The author obviously does not understand additive or subtractive mixing of color. Further, "Bastard colors appear warmer, more neutral, and more natural than pure colors" makes no sense.

Please be cautious when referencing Wikipedia, or any other site for that matter. (No offense intended, Les.)

Absolute garbage definition; one of the worst I've seen. Has anyone ever heard of a "bastard" color other than Bastard Amber? I haven't. Furthermore, it is optically impossible to "produce predominantly orange light with undertones of blue." The author obviously does not understand additive or subtractive mixing of color. Further, "Bastard colors appear warmer, more neutral, and more natural than pure colors" makes no sense.

Please be cautious when referencing Wikipedia, or any other site for that matter. (No offense intended, Les.)

Derek, have you gone and changed this? That's what wikipedia is all about, you know... If you see an incorrect statement, you're supposed to change it...

Afterthought... Ok, you don't have to change it, but it would be nice of you...

I'll continue my efforts to make ControlBooth's Wiki as complete and accurate as possible. As for the rest of the Internet, they're on their own.:twisted:

I DID look at the topic of "stagecraft" on Wikipedia and found so many issues, I wouldn't know where to begin.:(

None taken, derek. The "undertones of blue" did sound a little off to me too, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw that out there.

Ok, I'll take a stab at it...

Bastard doesn't just mean "illigitimate". There is a lesser known definition that means "of a kind similar to but inferior to or less typical than some standard". Wood Files come in three different grades of roughness. A Bastard file is one that is half way between the course and medium roughness. It is called bastard because it is cut in a non-standard way.

So applied to lighting, Bastard amber is much more pastel than a true amber (like R20 and R22). It's an atypical or non-standard variation. Same with Bastard Pink.

Ok, I'll take a stab at it...

Bastard doesn't just mean "illigitimate". There is a lesser known definition that means "of a kind similar to but inferior to or less typical than some standard". Wood Files come in three different grades of roughness. A Bastard file is one that is half way between the course and medium roughness. It is called bastard because it is cut in a non-standard way.

So applied to lighting, Bastard amber is much more pastel than a true amber (like R20 and R22). It's an atypical or non-standard variation. Same with Bastard Pink.

Bastard also means to introduce something foreign or an impurity. (hence all the talk about a bastard child, they are born of something impure)

From the definition:

(of a thing) no longer in its pure or original form; debased.
"a bastard Darwinism"
synonyms: adulterated, alloyed, impure, inferior; ..

I was always told that Bastard Amber was called that because they took "amber" and introduced some other pigment to it or something (a few versions).

Well, I know the origin of bastard amber. They were mixing a gel and it totally turned out way off from what it was meant to be. They showed it to the director and he loved it and it was kept. They screwed up somewhere in the process and since it was bastardized (in the english is a bastardized language sense), its called bastard amber. As for surprise pink, I figured that its because the gel looks purple but is actully pink.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dunno, but I sat in on one of the Disney shows with my then 5 year old grand daughter and probably 100 others around her age.. Looked up at the hang... I would swear Disney was using Little Bastard Amber

The lesser known friend of Little Orphan Annie.
I just finished a stint as "Bert Healy" Our orphans were wonderful, and we had a Sandy that sat stage right while annie talked to the cop, Came to Annie on command when the police officer told her to call the dog, and had his own cross unaccompanied in front of the black to buy time for scene change behind. He hit it perfectly every night.. But they were all so cute, the world forgot that Healy even existed... Never work with animals or children..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back