Safety Cables Needed?

Repeater

I understand the limitations of a forum like this in giving advice on properly rigging overhead, so if this is beyond what should be discussed here I understand.

If we would need to fly, say, a large projector overhead, what is usually attached in the way of safety cables? Safety cables that would be in addition to the actual rigging, which could consist of a 1 ton chain motor, a spanset properly rigged to a tagged and rated flypoint, and another spanset or more as needed properly rigged to the projector itself.

Put another way, is it proper and normal to rig additional safety cable(s) to the projector in case something in the primary rigging fails, knowing that all of the primary rigging is far over-rated for the weight?

Thanks!

I would safety the projector in the cage. The other problem you are going to have is spin. If you hang it from a single point then you will need to retain it in some manner. Two points would be better, you could use a much smaller hoist.

If the Christie's are anything like the Barco FLM's I've worked with the unit itself probably has multiple safeties integrated into the unit. If this projector is somewhere where no paying customers (or other completely unsuspecting people) are under it I would say you could get away with attaching those safeties to a shackle that the hoist is connected to or some other strong point in your lifting system. But everything I've ever hung over audience members had to have a safety that went all the way up to the building structure. That might be code, insurance police, company policy, or some mix of the three. I'm not really sure but that's been what I've seen as the guide for safeties.

The projector and the steel cage are bolted together and comprise a single unit. Any safety that you, your company or the venue decide/require need only be fastened to the cage at an appropriate point. For the safety to be a safety, it should be fastened to the building structure in some way as the primary rigging from the cage to the chain hoist is probably far heftier than the safety.

For the safety to be a safety, it should be fastened to the building structure in some way as the primary rigging from the cage to the chain hoist is probably far heftier than the safety.

Although I agree that in this situation if you're going to use a safety it should probably be attached to the building. I have to play devil's advocate and ask if that's your rule for all safeties shouldn't moving lights attached to truss have a safety cable that runs all the way up to the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back