Scanner vs. Moving Head questions.

kadams17

hello -

i was just wondering what the main differences between a moving head fixture vs a scanner are.

i did a show last year that involved renting 2 Robe ColorSpot 575E AT lights that were great, minus the rental cost.

Is it cheaper to rent a few scanners compared to a few moving heads? And if so...

i need them to function well with a ETC Express 48/96 board.

thanks
kadams17

Scanners are cheaper, and will move faster.

Moving heads will have a better degree of movement, similarity with the current rig, generally more effects, nicer angle of beam etc...

Just depends what you can afford, but I'd always always take moving heads over scanners.

Well, the only use they would have would be for effects. they would be hung on a zero electric.

it's for a show choir. two moving heads were nice last year, but the director wants more flashyness so I figured I can probably rent 4 scanners for the price of 2 movers.

If you need speed, any moving mirror fixture will beat any moving head. One thing to watch our for is most of the moving mirror fixtures out there were built a good amount of time ago and have some age on them. If you rent four, make sure you get a spare (and DON'T HANG IT!). Moving mirror fixtures are pretty easy to control on the trackpad of an express.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back