Scenic Designers - where do you get your inspiration?

DarkFlipDog

Just a bit of curiosity for the rest of you scenic designers out there. What/where do you get your inspiration for your designs? Do you try to replicate past or broadway sets? Do you drive around town? Do you just get an image and go with it and see how it comes out?

I've been designing for some time, but have recently run into some new ways of designing and just wonder what you all do to make something come alive.

Typically I try not to replicate Broadway or past designs, unless the director is asking for it, or its so integral to the show that it can't be avoided. For example, if I was doing Avenue Q, I'd probably adapt the original. (Although I'd still play with the style.)

One way I often start my process (after becoming familiar with the script and discussing themes and concepts with the director) is with google images. If there's a specific setting, I'll look at tons of pictures of that. Or I'll search for related art styles, or time periods, or anything really. Sometimes I search for abstract concepts just to see what I get. I'm not looking for reference really (not yet), just inspiration. For example, last time I did Streetcar, in looking at photos of the French Quarter, I was taken with the shutters on the buildings. That become a guiding element in the eventual design. I find a few hours of image searching can help inspire some visual interpretation of the concepts we want to emphasize in the production.

I'd have to agree with everything said above. Google images is great for stuff, I often look at broadway shows or whatever Google comes up with just to see what others have done. Sometimes I borrow pieces sometimes I forget them completely. One thing I've always found useful is I've got files of pictures I have taken of textures, folders of bricks I've encountered in real life. Cedar siding, stone pavers etc so I always have reference material. If I'm out and see something I like, I snap a picture. In recent years I've done the same with Pinterest. I've got a textures board where I pin patterns, palettes and other images that I can look back at for future reference, super handy.

I've known designers who have based their whole style for a set around a piece of artwork. My methods change depending on the show and directors concept as well. Seussical or Charlie Brown for example could be done 3D and realistic or 2D and very stylized.

Via tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back