Scenic Drops

Hello! I am trying to figure this out for an upcoming production. I am looking to integrate scenic drops such as signs, foliage, etc, to come down from the stage ceiling. We do not have any formal fly gallery installed, so I would be rigging this all. Is there any motor solutions for what I am talking about that can be controlled over DMX or some other software protocol? The drops will be very light maximum of 40 pounds. If not what are some solutions for this?

You can search here for information on Oleo Drops, but these can become heavy and carry a risk of injury if rigged improperly. Another way of doing this is to rig a tripped drop or cutouts. These would fold in half (or more) as you raise them up to the grid. Again rigging overhead requires some training and very careful consideration of the dangers involved. Have you considered curtain tracks? I have placed 3 separate drops on one track and been quite successful with that.
There are motorized roll drops (oleos) that are for rent. You can search for them. Here is one by a reputable company: http://www.thernstage.com/products/roll-drops/

First, what structure exists on the ceiling to rig things to? Assuming you have appropriate structure:

You say "signs:" if they're small and rectangular (say 8' wide max) I think an oleo would be a good way to go.

You say "folliage:" not sure exactly what we're talking about, but if it's something with an organic shape that would be okay to "bunch up" (and is lightweight) you could rig it as a modified Austrian drape, with series of D-rings stiched up the back with lines running through them, attached at the bottom. Pull the lines, and the whole thing bunches up into the ceiling.

You say "drop:" for a full-stage painted drop, I agree that traveler track is the way to go. Move it sideways rather than up and down. You can weight the bottom with a chain, and if you clamp boards on the two offstage sides and use ropes to stretch it out sideways (in a detachable way) you can get it looking pretty good. I did many a Nutcracker this way back in the day. Drop #1 was on the track and started the show in place and stretched. The stretchers were released and the drop traveled off to reveal drop #2 deadhung behind. Then at intermission drop #3 was set and stretched on the track (from the other side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back