scroller effect exiting

wrightde

Hey there!

I hate for my first post here to be a "I have a problem" posts, but if it makes a difference, I'm a long time lurker.

Anywho, I'm running an Ion (v 1.0.0.9.0.027 [I know, I'm sorry. Not my choice]), and I'm having difficulty with a desired effect.

Basically, we have a number where we have a disco look via live scrolling. The following cue is a bump. The intended effect is the scrollers stopping wherever they are and being in it for the bump up at a time 0.

The scrolling cue works as intended and the next cue I pretty much just went "group 3 and group 8, effect, enter, record."

What ends up happening now is that going into the bump, one group stops where immediately and one scrolls back to open white. I've tried a number of things, but nothing has really given me any success.

The exit for the effect is "stop and hold" with a time of 0.

Here's the showfile, if you're interested:

http://wrightlight.squarespace.com/storage/AVE%20Q%202012-11-01%2018-56-10.esf

The disco cue is 208 and the bump is 209. The effect number is 2. If it makes a difference, the scrollers are apollo smart colors (I know, it hurts)

Any advice, people?

Thanks!

-Dean

Although I am new to the ION, and do not have the scrollers (using LED pars) I have used scrollers on the insight and expression boards. I am also not at my ION console until Friday call is at 5pm CDT. Using the off line editor I did look at the show. Which groups stop at white and is it the same group?

I would:
Try to change the effect 2 so it never goes to white on the time/scroll color graph.
Try deleting the cues and rebuild both just in case there is some hidden junk. Or try from a blank cue with no other lights on. group 3 and group 8 effect 2 enter, then sneak out time 0.
Call ETC lighting support while at your board, they are usually very helpful.

I will try running it on my ION Friday.

Although I am new to the ION, and do not have the scrollers (using LED pars) I have used scrollers on the insight and expression boards. I am also not at my ION console until Friday call is at 5pm CDT. Using the off line editor I did look at the show. Which groups stop at white and is it the same group?

I would:
Try to change the effect 2 so it never goes to white on the time/scroll color graph.
Try deleting the cues and rebuild both just in case there is some hidden junk. Or try from a blank cue with no other lights on. group 3 and group 8 effect 2 enter, then sneak out time 0.
Call ETC lighting support while at your board, they are usually very helpful.

I will try running it on my ION Friday.

Oh geez! Of course taking the white out! I feel very dumb for not thinking of that. but yeah, either group would do it depending on the luck. Playing around with the scroll/ time graph an it's much happier. The director is pleased with it now. They're such quick hits that it makes itself happy. the exiting of the effect is still a pain, but what I think was happening was that the values of the scroll would just ping between min an max and let the gel string catch up. so when it exited, it was most likely to be at either the beginning or end of the string, thus being open white when it exited. In fact, I'm 99% sure that was the case.

Thanks!

I am glad that worked for you. When I have used scrollers in a step effect, I had the intensity in the cue and the scroll values in the steps. min was like 7% and max about 92%. the speed was also an issue as you mentioned they don't move as fast as you like.

Other options are to run the colors on a slider.

Enjoy your show.

Well, I took a look at your show file, and there are a couple things I noticed. First off, it looks like you have a patch error on channels 22 and 23. You have scrollers patched in two different universes which seems inconsistent with the rest of your scrollers. That may not have any effect on what you are doing, but worth looking into.

Secondly in terms of the programming of coming out of your effect I don't think what you really want is a "Stop and Hold" Exit. I think you want an exit that will take you to some pre-programmed look. Why? well, if you look at your effect running, you have most of your scrollers in white for most of the time. So the odds of stopping the effect while they are in white is very high. If you want to stop them in colors, setting the exit to a "Stop and Fade" will send the scrollers to whatever frame the cue has them programmed in. This way you can end them up in all different colors if you would like.

It occurs to me that the other problem you might have is the fact that you are using a color effect. If you don't define a gel string (which it looks like you have not) then there are no real hue/sat values for the effect to really hold. It looks like the effect is just running the scrolls from one end to the other and back. You might have more luck if you either define your gel string or make this a step-based or absolute effect.

If you make it a step based effect and just have a step for each frame in the gel string, then when you tell it to exit with a "Stop and hold" it will hold on whatever step it is on. With the current set up, it looks like e only values that it can hold are one end of the gel string or the other. Just how the effect is sending data.

Just a couple thoughts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back