Securing Trap Plugs

Colin

Wondering how those who design or use trap stages secure their plugs. We have a trap stage built in 1962, pictured from below here. The plugs are true 2" thick fir planks, under fir T&G, under our hardboard wear layer. Each is held tight (in theory) to the pictured steel beams using four 1/4" jaw/hook turnbuckles going to 1/4" eye bolts.

To me all the hardware is wrong. When I gave it all a closer look recently, I saw a mixture of forged and wire eyes, all without shoulders and side loaded (and therefore mostly bent and/or loose). The turnbuckles aren't moused, so I found lots of loose ones. The traps haven't been used in years, because the trap room happens to be our costume shop, and that's a PITA.

The lack of use has also, I'm a bit ashamed to say, led to a lapse in now-obviously needed inspection. I started looking at this situation because during a dance rehearsal recently, a turnbuckle fell onto a sewing table. Fortunately, nobody was in the room at the time. As far as I can tell, the turnbuckle worked loose enough that instead of pulling on the eyes it actually started pushing them apart with every stomp from above (20+ member step dance group). Eventually, it snapped the bottom eye (which was forged in this case) and the hook on the other end fell out of the top eye.

So, I could do a direct-ish replacement of all of these, using forged hardware, shoulder eyes, and moused jaw/jaw turnbuckles instead of jaw/hook. I'm skeptical that 1/4" hardware is even enough in this application, but I'm not super confident in evaluating the stresses at play in this situation.

Or, I could do something else that you smart people know about. Ideas?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
What do your plugs weigh? You don't mention any dimensions, but I worked in a theatre with 10, 4' x 4' traps, plugged just like yours, and none of the plugs EVER moved without 4 stage screws run into the floor and a beefy stagehand on each one, grunting & groaning. I'd bet they weighed over 200# each. Gravity is your friend.

Over center draw latches. I mounted latches to beams and put a recessed "eye" in the trap (so they could be stacked for storing).

What do your plugs weigh? You don't mention any dimensions, but I worked in a theatre with 10, 4' x 4' traps, plugged just like yours, and none of the plugs EVER moved without 4 stage screws run into the floor and a beefy stagehand on each one, grunting & groaning. I'd bet they weighed over 200# each. Gravity is your friend.

So are you saying your plugs were indeed held in place by gravity only? Mine are 48" x 52" and yes, upwards of 200lbs. Last time we pulled one it was two people, probably grunting & groaning twice as much as your four. Between that and the fact that the hardboard layer overlaps the trap seams, I'm not worried about them jumping out of place and falling through or anything, but without something pulling them tight to the steel there seems to be quite a bit of what I'd call nuisance movement during our more athletic performances (extra volume of filth showering down into the trap room/costume shop, extra noise, and I suspect it contributes to some occasional popped and backed-out screws in the hardboard layer). That analysis isn't very scientific, but I did watch and listen down below during a recent rehearsal and it seems worse in a couple spots where the current turnbuckle system is compromised. It would also be nice to have them secured in a load-rated manner so we can begin to figure how much we can pull up on the deck if wanting to anchor a cantilever or something. But I'm not surprised or alarmed that gravity alone might be a solution some places.

Over center draw latches. I mounted latches to beams and put a recessed "eye" in the trap (so they could be stacked for storing).

Aha. Great. I'll have to ponder how to make this work in a retrofit situation, but it'd be cheaper and more elegant than the turnbuckle solution for sure. I'm now learning about how many options there are for over center draw latches. I had no idea.

The ones I used had a J hook, and a custom plate - like a ring with a bar across the center - which sat flush in underside with a recess behind. Unique traps - 3 layers ply, no framing.

Two latches - opposite side centers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back