Seeking a top quality UPS & advice . . .

RonHebbard

Premium Member
Departed Member
Hello! Call it what you like but I'm interested in purchasing a really good UPS. I live in a 120 volt, 60 Hertz world and a rack mount format would be appreciated. I'm seeking a unit which will take whatever my power company supplies, rectify, filter and surge / spike protect it to flawless DC then generate scrupulously clean and perfectly shaped 120 volt / 60 Hertz sine waves to power my desk-top, it's flat panel monitor, speakers, RAID drives, outboard redundant storage drives, my ADSL cable modem and my wireless (non-Cell) phone. Basically, I want to be protected and self sufficient through the worst winter throws at me so I never have to spend a moment away from you gals and guys. How's that for being sucky? Something in the area of 1,000 to 1,500 VA would suit my needs and if it kept me safely operational for sixty to ninety minutes I'd be satisfied. I've been looking at some of the offerings from Middle Atlantic Products but await your comments and suggestions. It doesn't need to support a coffee pot as I'm not a coffee drinker.
Writing, as always, from Canada.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Hello! Call it what you like but I'm interested in purchasing a really good UPS. I live in a 120 volt, 60 Hertz world and a rack mount format would be appreciated. I'm seeking a unit which will take whatever my power company supplies, rectify, filter and surge / spike protect it to flawless DC then generate scrupulously clean and perfectly shaped 120 volt / 60 Hertz sine waves to power my desk-top, it's flat panel monitor, speakers, RAID drives, outboard redundant storage drives, my ADSL cable modem and my wireless (non-Cell) phone. Basically, I want to be protected and self sufficient through the worst winter throws at me so I never have to spend a moment away from you gals and guys. How's that for being sucky? Something in the area of 1,000 to 1,500 VA would suit my needs and if it kept me safely operational for sixty to ninety minutes I'd be satisfied. I've been looking at some of the offerings from Middle Atlantic Products but await your comments and suggestions. It doesn't need to support a coffee pot as I'm not a coffee drinker.
Writing, as always, from Canada.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Well? Can I PLEASE have some input PLEASE??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

You want a "continuous" UPS.

They're 3-5 times what "switchover" ones -- the majority of the market -- cost, if not more, because almost no one needs them anymore.

You might actually find it easier to build one, out of telco parts:

rectifier -> battery string -> inverter

I can look around for you, but I don't even remember seeing any continuous units for sale anytime recently.

Those M-A's say "line-interactive", which I believe -- especially at that price point -- means "switchover"; they're about the same price my APC SmartUPS 2200RM's were, and they weren't continuous either.

The audio guys around me swear by the Liebert GXT4 series for their analog gear, in terms of clean power. For sensitive lab instruments, I see more Tripp-lite at work than anything else. I haven't bought any, I just rebattery them when they wear out.

The audio guys around me swear by the Liebert GXT4 series for their analog gear, in terms of clean power. For sensitive lab instruments, I see more Tripp-lite at work than anything else. I haven't bought any, I just rebattery them when they wear out.
As I wrote back at the top: 'Call them what you like.' So far, so good and thank you all for your time, input and valued opinions. Please continue to post any further comments you may have.
Thanks again!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

The long run time is the hard part. I'd go with a Superior Electric SEG1000R. They have a provision for an external battery box, for added run time, which is rather unusual. We have at least nine of them at the radio station, and I've never had a problem with one. Unlike some other brands, the batteries don't get cooked to a premature death. The brand isn't very widely distributed, but Allied Electronics carries them.

The Eaton Ferrups line is another excellent product with a relatively long run time. The Ferrups is a hybrid with the benefits of both true-online and line interactive, due to the novel use of a ferroresonant transformer. The downside is they are big and extremely heavy compared to units of similar output. Don't try carrying one up stairs. It's a proven, 25 year old design that they had the good sense to leave alone. It looks like the rack mount version is out of production.

I suggest avoiding APC. Their products are hit or miss, and they don't stand behind them.

Nope; I was wrong.

Here's their 2.2kVa.

https://www.tripplite.com/smartonli...pwebcard-option-usb-db9-serial~SU2200RTXL2UA/

About a grand at retail, which is about 2-3 times what a switchover would cost.

Wow; no, TrippLite is nailing it: this is about the same price as the APC, which is line-interactive, not double-conversion. Damn.

Note that these units *require* a *dedicated* 120/20 branch circuit to power them; they have L5-20 plugs.
I think I may have fallen in love with the Tripplite 2.2Kva. I could always add an external battery pack if I feel like I really want the additional run time. It's reminding me very much of my old Best Power Systems unit that died valiantly after protecting its loads several times.
Thank you all for your time, thoughts, suggestions and wisdom.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I've had the advice in the past to consider seriously putting a surge protector on the input of a UPS, as sacrificial protection for the front end.
Collective thoughts?

I've had the advice in the past to consider seriously putting a surge protector on the input of a UPS, as sacrificial protection for the front end.
Collective thoughts?
Hi @Chris15 Any time I seek expertise on surge protection, I routinely check with the folks at Surgex. They're usually pretty much up to the second on cutting edge thinking and techniques when it comes to surge protection.
Toodleoo!
Ron

Yeah, we're not sure we trust APC anymore since their quality's gone in the toilet these last 5 years.

Liebert makes *excellent* gear, though it's usually not as small as Ron wants, and *very* pricey -- they make datacenter scale gear.

I didn't realize Superior was in this market, but I got a bit set says they make decent stuff too...

Last edited:
Yeah, we're not sure we trust APC anymore since their quality's gone in the toilet these last 5 years.

Liebert makes *excellent* gear, though it's usually not as small as Ron wants, and *very* pricey -- they make datacenter scale gear.

I didn't realize Superior was in this market, but I got a bit set says they make decent stuff too...

At this point, my main reason for staying with APC is compatibility with open source monitoring solutions. Not a fan of their newer gear, but trying to find something with the same level of OSS support is a challenge. APC's also been borged so many times that I think the new owner is only keeping the brand for the name.

The really irritating thing, Bob, is that Schneider always had a good rep, so far as I know, til they bought APC and screwed them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back