Selador Vivid-R or D60 Vivid

Tex

I have an opportunity to make a decision about the lighting at the new school. There is a portion of the package that calls for 40 11" Selador Ice fixtures. Since the auditorium color wash and cyc are covered by other fixtures, the installing company and I agree that something got confused along the way and these should either be 20 fire and 20 ice or 40 Vivid-R to use as color wash in the black box and classroom. I also have the possibility of using the money from that package to buy D-60's, but I would only be able to get about 26 for the same amount of money. I guess D-40's would also be available.
So, what would you do? Some of these fixtures will be used for permanent color wash in the black box and classroom, some will be used in other creative ways so flexibility is important. Is it 20 Fire/20 Ice, 40 Classic Vivid-R or 26 D-60 Vivid? Opinions, please...

I have an opportunity to make a decision about the lighting at the new school. There is a portion of the package that calls for 40 11" Selador Ice fixtures. Since the auditorium color wash and cyc are covered by other fixtures, the installing company and I agree that something got confused along the way and these should either be 20 fire and 20 ice or 40 Vivid-R to use as color wash in the black box and classroom. I also have the possibility of using the money from that package to buy D-60's, but I would only be able to get about 26 for the same amount of money. I guess D-40's would also be available.
So, what would you do? Some of these fixtures will be used for permanent color wash in the black box and classroom, some will be used in other creative ways so flexibility is important. Is it 20 Fire/20 Ice, 40 Classic Vivid-R or 26 D-60 Vivid? Opinions, please...

Um, 40 Classic Vivid Rs. More lights, plenty of color, can use them for more things at the same time.

Why is the D60 in the running? Do you need the extra lumens? If so, seems like a no brainer. If not, go with more units.

What kind of work will you be producing in the space? Just theater? Are the band/choral performances going to be using the space? Are you going to bring in outside events? All the usual questions apply...

-Tim

I would opt for the D-40 rather than the Vivid-R unless there is a compelling price difference. Having PowerCon thru simplifies the cabling.

Why is the D60 in the running? Do you need the extra lumens? If so, seems like a no brainer. If not, go with more units.

What kind of work will you be producing in the space? Just theater? Are the band/choral performances going to be using the space? Are you going to bring in outside events? All the usual questions apply...

-Tim
No outside events in the black box. Just theatre and some open mic coffee house kind of things.
I don't need the extra lumens, but the added features are nice, the beam is round and can be somewhat focused with lenses.

I would opt for the D-40 rather than the Vivid-R unless there is a compelling price difference. Having PowerCon thru simplifies the cabling.

Also better lensing options, better control of dimming curves thru menu, can use barn doors, top hats, etc.

I would opt for the D-40 rather than the Vivid-R ...
Agree. In addition, the round lens for the D40 provides the ability to "spin the bottle," an advantage over the Vivid 11", when used for non cyc/wall-washing applications.

Supposedly, the D40 is brighter than the Vivid, so I'm not sure the D60 is warranted. Plus, I like that the D40 accepts standard 7.5" accessories.

Looks like you're still looking at about a $200/fixture price difference between the Vivid-R and the D-40, so you have to figure out if the PAR features and the added punch are more important than more units for your intended use. I love my D-60s, but I really needed them to be punchy (22-ft grid height) and to basically replace a PAR backlight wash. In my experience, the barndoors and other accessories don't really work exactly the way you expect them to on a single source fixture. See if you can get a demo of all three fixtures and try them out. ETC's customer service is really great, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree,
If you can get the same number of fixtures, I would probably just go with 40 D-40s
Of course, I might swap out a few of them out to get 2 S4 LED, just to have the capability to do a breakup pattern from time to time.
But that really depends on if you need that sort of thing.

What is the lumen difference between the 40 and the 60? fifty percent more brightness?

I got a chance to play with the 40 a few weeks ago and they were bright. Used them on booms for a dance show and they were competing well with the S4 750w just a few feet above it.

D60 Vivid in regulated mode
3280 field lumens
1640 beam lumens

D40 Vivid in regulated mode
2150 field lumens
1020 beam lumens

Selador Classic Vivid-R
1750 field lumens
820 beam lumens

Pretty big difference, but for 90% of things, I would think the D40 would be the way to go..
Probably the best Price/Performance as well.

I think I'm going with the D40's. If I can get 32 or so, then I'm covered for wash in the black box, and have more versatile fixtures. I think that's a good trade-off for 8 instruments.

D40's is a great choice, sounds like you could use the extra versatility of having more instruments rather than the extra punch of the D60's.

Thou I Agree with EBB, if snag a handful LED S4's with this order I think you'll be happier with the extra versatility.

This was all pretty last minute and I had very limited time to make the change, so I didn't want to complicate things too much.
I'm getting 32 D40 Vivids with assorted lenses, cables and floor stands. :)

Last edited:
No outside events in the black box. Just theatre and some open mic coffee house kind of things.
, the beam is round and can be somewhat focused with lenses.

Just to clear up a common misconception out there - the beams from both the Selador classic version and the Selador Desire series are both round. I know that the classic fixture is rectangular in nature, but the beam emitting from the fixture is round.

Both of the fixtures have lens systems that allow for focusing of that beam. The Classic series has lenses in both the horizontal and vertical axes that allow for it to be variably focused from 10 - 80 degrees in increments of 10 degrees (I'm pretty sure of those numbers, but may be a little off) The Desire series has lenses that allow for various beam angles, but you can't get quite the variety that you can with the classic version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back