Selecting amplifiers

Anonymous067

When selecting amplifiers, I've gotten into the disagreement with people on whether to follow the FTC 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.1% THD line, or the EIA 1 kHz, 0.1% THD line. Which should you be following per application, and what are the differences beyond the obvious?

Can somebody offer a detailed explanation of both of these?

I would appear to me that you would follow the 20h to 20kh if you were driving full range cabinets, (which would seem normally to me), so when would you ever follow the 1khz only line...what does that benefit?

If you're only amplifying spoken word (lectures, speeches, etc.), 1kHz would be your most common frequency. I don't really have a good answer, but that's all I can come up with.

EIA is defined here, QSC - Glossary of Audio Terms and FTC here, QSC - Glossary of Audio Terms. It is not just a matter of frequency and often at what THD level, but also of being for one channel versus all channels. And yes, FTC ratings are normally lower and what I consider more applicable to most applications. You often do not see FTC ratings for low impedance loads as the test procedure requires a long term 'warm up' of 60 minutes at partial power and 5 minutes at full power prior to the measurement and many amps have trouble providing the higher current involved with low impedance loads under those conditions, but may have no problem doing so in typical practical application.

If it's a well respected make and model, there won't be much difference. If the difference is more than say 10 to 15 percent, I'd look at a different amp.

If it's a well respected make and model, there won't be much difference. If the difference is more than say 10 to 15 percent, I'd look at a different amp.
Like many things, you can't really simplify it down to such a blanket statement. Look at the EIA definition from QSC that I referenced, "This easily gives numbers 10 to 20% higher than the FTC ratings." Looking at a few 'well respected makes and models', the difference into 4 and 8 Ohm loads is smaller, typically well within the 10% to 15% noted. However, for the few amps that publish 2 Ohm EIA and FTC ratings, the difference between the EIA and FTC ratings for 2 Ohm loads can easily be 20% or even 25%.

As far as the benefit of specifying EIA versus FTC, well if your competitor has a product that is advertised as 1,000W FTC do you think that publishing that your amp is 1,100W EIA instead of 900W FTC will help or hurt sales? Do most people notice, much less understand, the EIA versus FTC ratings or do they simply see 1,100W versus 1,000W? And the EIA rating is a recognized standard rating method so it's not like you're cheating.

So on one hand, the most important aspect is comparing apples to apples. But there is still a factor that comparing EIA ratings does not necessarily tell you what the amps actually do with both channels driven and a broader spectrum signal, you could still have one that has a much larger reduction than the other in the actual application.

Oh, and to make it even more fun, keep in mind that the amps are rated driving a very nice, purely resistive load that is linear over frequency. Unfortunately, speakers are far from being a nice, purely resistive load that is linear over frequency. I believe that how an amp reacts to these other factors is greatly responsible for the differences one may hear between similarly rated amplifiers. They may be rated the same sensitivity, gain, etc. but their transfer function into particular actual speaker loads may differ.

AES has been trying to develop new speaker and amplifier testing standards for years, ones that represent more real world conditions and the actual measurements that matter, e.g. voltage and current rather than the resulting power. One hurdle is that the manufacturers understandably would prefer to avoid having to retest their existing products to new standards. Another is that some manufacturers aren't sure if they want a different testing method that may show flaws in some products. And many manufacturers are concerned about how people would react to the numbers likely to result from the tests proposed, it would affect all products equally but how would the average potential purchaser used to amps and speakers rated at hundreds and thousands of Watts react if they were instead rated at tens of Volts and double or single digit Amps. It's the usual dilemma of providing technically accurate and valid data versus data that is easy for the average person to interpret (and is more acceptable to marketing since it leaves more room for creative interpretation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back