Installs Self-coiling snake for orchestra pit

whistler

I recently took over the house audio position at a small roadhouse in Washington state. We're looking at various upgrades/improvements that would make life easier.
We have a motorized orchestra pit and we have 8 mic inputs wired for the down position of the pit.
I'm looking for suggestions on where we might get cable to install a stage box in the top of the pit so that the inputs are accessible when it is all the way up. I'm thinking something along the lines of a tightly-wound cable like you see on headphones or the power/control cable for personnel lifts.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe I've ever seen coiled cable with more than a pair or two. I would say a springloaded spool of some type, myself, with appropriate cable protection.

If you have space to make the drum large enough, then you'd only need a turn or two, and could probably get by without commutators or anything, which would be much easier.

I'm not sure a coiled cable is the only, or indeed the best solution.

If I'm picturing this right, you just want something that connects the cable to the height adjustable platform of the pit?
Take inspiration from the broadcast sector and the self climbing hoist. One example is ETC's here: https://etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/selfclimber_e.pdf
If you look at the cable management arrangement, it can adjust height over a considerable range, while still protecting the cable and ensuring it can't become entangled in any of the operating mechanisms of the device.

I suspect one could fashion something similar, or perhaps it's already commercially available somewhere...

You might be over-thinking this. Assuming proper strain relief at the stage box in the floor of the lift and moderate (10' or so) travel distance, a relatively flexible cable (or even separate cables bundled together) should just pile and un-pile pretty easily from a large enough container clear of the lifting mechanism.

Thanks everyone. Some good thoughts, I'd considered the idea of just coiling and uncoiling from a box, but the power cables that go up to outlets on the apron floor are the self-coiling type so I thought there might be audio cables of a similar type. There isn't a whole lot of space under it in the down position because the water table is quite high and the total depth of travel is probably closer to 15' than 10' so I'll have to spend some more time crawling around down there looking at options but I really appreciate everyone's feedback. The pantograph or self-climbing hoist are interesting if there is room under there. I haven't had the opportunity to look at a similar installation anywhere so I appreciate everyone's brainstorming/sharing of experience.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I agree with Chris's concerns, but it also looks like they custom make cables so they might be able to make a proper snake as well. Regardless, thanks for the info, I have a better idea what to call the things now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back