Senior Technicians/Stagehands and Harness Use

From the specs on the model cited above:

Miller TurboLite PFL features include:

• First affordable alternative to shock-absorbing lanyards
  • Extremely compact and lightweight (1.9 lbs. [.86kg]) provides 6 ft. (1.8m) working capacity lifeline; unit attaches directly to the harness back D-ring for greater mobility and versatility
That's nice; but in my venue I need a 50' working capacity. Also, it would be rather impractical when used on a truss with a horizontal lifeline. Let's try to avoid the term "Manyard" as it appears to be a proprietary product of one manufacturer.

How is it impractical? 50'? This is supposed to be a replacement for shock-absorbing lanyards, not for big ol' self-retracting lifelines.

Charc:
Try walking a truss sometime with TWO of those vs. a double lanyard and you'll understand.

THANK YOU -- I can't imagine how much of a pain that would be. I've got enough trouble going up with a twin-tail rebar lanyard, a positioning line/hook, and whatever tools/gear I might be hauling up there.

But in a position with less than 18' of fall clearance? This way you always have the smallest fall clearance.

Just to re-iterate: US OSHA regulations apply to employees and employors in the private sector. Many states extend the rules to the public sector employees. At a private college, I doubt that there any work situations that are exclusively done by nonemployees (students) that could also be done by employees (custodians, maintenece pepople, teachers) who are covered by OSHA rules. If it's not safe for the nonemployees, then its not safe for the employees, and that's a problem.

US OSHA regulations can be found in Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910 and 1926. The applicability of the regulations is described in 29 CFR 1910.5.

Also, US OSHA has a pretty good website.

Joe

You also need to check with your state's Department of Labor as to the definition of what an employee is. In some states, you can be defined as a non-compensated employee which covers volunteers and students. Also, this can define what activities the student may participate in. While theater is not defined by the US Department of Labor, some of the activities we participate in are specifically mentioned and have age restrictions (operation of powered woodworking equipment such as circular saws).

I commend all of you who choose to practice our art safely. Please remember that accidents don't always cause death. It can be worse for you to not sustain a fatal injury by living with the pain from an accident and loss of ability to work. Not only that, but you could end up paralyzed or in a coma. I understand that you may understand your own limitations and feel that you are behaving in a safe manner, but rarely are we working alone (and if you are doing something dangerous on your own, that falls into another category). After all, accidents aren't planned and are not always caused by the person who is the victim.

I am glad to hear that so many of you are aware of safe practices and are trying to make others aware of it. I was terminated as a technical director from one of the premier not-for-profit theater centers in Phoenix primarily because I was enforcing safety (and reported violations to OSHA when the management failed to comply with federal and state regulations). Personally, I can't understand how any management would want to knowingly allow unsafe practices in their theater. When an accident occurs, every person in the food chain is liable until proven otherwise (for me it would have been as follows: the victim, co-workers, their immediate supervisors from their company, me, my boss, the non-profit running the complex, and finally the City which owned the complex). Of course my employer was somewhat aware of this so it wasn't written policy to ignore safety standards, but it was understood that we were to do so. When I put up a stink, especially after several unreported incidents (and a couple reported incidents), I was terminated for "differences of opinion"; just before the slow season.

Fortunately I now work for an employer who has the utmost concern for their employees. We cover many subjects as web-based tutorials as well as hands on classes. All technicians who will be required to be in areas where fall protection is needed are issued their own harness. Granted, I work in a venue that has a much larger budget than most, but safe practices are cheaper than lawsuits. If your school or venue doesn't have it in their current budget to put in safety measures, apply for grants, look for free training on the web, and OSHA will come for free and help you determine your safety needs (and you don't get fined when you invite them in this way). You can find out who the safety officer is for your venue and they should be aware of your working conditions. You have the right to work in safety!

Remember that just because you have a harness doesn't mean that you are safe from harm. Get proper training in identification of safe tie off points and necessary clearance. Make sure there is a rescue plan in case of a fall (even if it is as simple as who is responsible for calling 911).

I am sorry for the long winded post, but this is an important subject to me. I have worked hard over the years trying to help prevent injury and death to my friends and co-workers.

But in a position with less than 18' of fall clearance? This way you always have the smallest fall clearance.

I don't quite follow you -- my double legged arresting lanyard will arrest a body of approx 160lbs in 4'. That sounds plenty safe to me... considering they aren't necessary/required until a height of 10'.

Like I said -- self retracting arresters on vertical positions (booms, ladders, vertical trusses) if they are permanently installed. Otherwise, a double legged rebar-style hook is usually the preferred/best option.

I started reading this thread from the beginning an hour ago and had to jump many pages from July '07 to now. Interesting how this keeps going on. Anyway, my question is this: If I'm focusing an electric overstage at 30' in a personal lift with 4 outriggers installed, and I clip my harness into the bucket, how does that help me when a batten flies in/out and grabs my bucket and the whole lift goes over. Sorry if i skipped too many pages to see this answer, but it was kinda hard to search for. I've spent thousands of hours in a bucket and have sinced move to mostly design, but i've always been curious about this. I suppose the same question could be asked about a scissor lift in a tall ballroom that might run over a weak floor pocket. Being clipped into the bucket seems more of a death sentence to me. Comments? And again, sorry if this has already been covered.

JB

In reply to jbart74:
Technically, use of a harness in a bucket truck, boom lift, scissor lift, etc, is for fall RESTRAINT, not fall PROTECTION. There are slightly different requirements between the systems, but the fall restraint system is supposed to prevent you from being able to go out side of the bucket. It is not meant to help you if the whole lift falls over.
RB

...It is not meant to help you if the whole lift falls over...
Well, yes and no. The safest place to be in any personnel lift which is tipping over is INSIDE the bucket. Those who think that if the lift falls over, they can jump clear of it are just plain WRONG. Even if they manage to get safely to the ground before the lift, there's a good chance the lift will fall on them.

Rather than get hung up (no pun intended) on the difference between fall arrest and fall restraint, most I know use the term fall protection.

Somewhere on the internet is a great story about an insurance claim where a man was using a rope and pulley to hoist bricks to a second story. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but he was picked up off the ground, then fell, then the bricks fell on top of him. On the way up AND down he hit the pile of bricks.

Somewhere on the internet is a great story about an insurance claim where a man was using a rope and pulley to hoist bricks to a second story. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but he was picked up off the ground, then fell, then the bricks fell on top of him. On the way up AND down he hit the pile of bricks.

I think I know the one you are talking about.

A man had rigged a pulley on the roof of a second story building during construction. At ground level he had rigged a makeshift ropelock. Now being the smart guy he is, he runs a rope through the pulley and ties a barrel to one end to hoist things up and down by hand.

Now he raises the barrel to the top and loads the barrel with bricks to the brim then climbs down to the ground. He now releases the ropelock while holding onto the rope. The weight of the barrel of bricks lifts him off the ground where he now hurtles to the top of the building.

When the man reaches the top of the building, his hands get pulled partially into the pulley by the rope, and at the same time the bottom of the barrel breaks upon impact with the ground which lets all of the bricks fall out of the barrel. Now the man does not let go of the rope and is now is heavier than the barrel so he now falls to the ground while the barrel goes back up. At half way, the barrel hits him while it is on its way up. When the man is hit, he lets go of the rope and falls to the ground. Now the barrel has no counterweight and therefore falls to the ground, and hits the man who is now lying on the pile of bricks in considerable pain.

I hope I got that right, it's been a while since I heard that one.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back