Sennheiser Question

shayward

I have the opportunity to look into purchasing a couple of new wireless beltpacks & microphones for my theatre department and was wondering a few things. I want to stick with Sennheiser since we already have a few sets and they work great in our building.

1) What is the basic difference between the EW172G2 model and the EW112G2 model? I can't seem to find much of a difference, yet they are listed at different prices.

2) Is the higher model number an indication of a "better" system?

Thanks in advance!

I think it's just the transmitter configuration. The 172 has a guitar cable connecting the transmitters to your instrument, whereas the 112 has a lavalier microphone to pick up a person's voice. I would expect the 112 to cost more because the mic should cost more than the guitar cable.

Otherwise, as long as it's a 100 series G2, the receiver and transmitter should be the same.

300 series is better than 100 series, and 500 better than 300.
G3 is also a new line (to replace the G2?)

slight topic swerve FWIW, we recently picked up a new Senn ew 845G3 system + a bodypack and ME4. When I sent out for quotes from our usual vendors, 1 of the 2 told me that they could no longer get G2 units. One rep told me they are being phased out to make way for the newer G3 stuff. That may well be a line trying to get me to buy the more expensive gear, but the price was only a couple hundred bucks different, and for that, I went with G3 stuff anyway. Just got it racked up yesterday, haven't done a show with it yet but liked the feel of it and the feature set. Good solid, sturdy feel, easy to understand menues, and the quick listen thru the headphone jack sounded good.

The difference in price is owing to what is included: 1/8" TRS-1/4" TS cable for guitar, lavalier mic, or big ugly headset mic. Even though we bought them (nine) to use with E6, we got some with lavs and some with headsets, so we'd have something to use when we did not trust the users to take proper care of the E6.

If we'd known about this mic, we'd have tried them first - if good enough, the money we'd have saved (buying this instead of E6) would have bought another wireless channel or two: MM Audio - The Next Generation of Pro Audio Equipment

Go for the G3, if for no other reason because the beltpack transmits the battery condition to the receiver, so you can look and the receiver and tell if the batter is gonna poop out before the show is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back