Sensor Rack issues

Ravenbar

Got a pair of sensor racks at a HS I'm working at. Racks seem to function fine. One rack is showing a breaker 24 tripped error(24 dimmer rack), reset the breaker, even though it was relay module that was functioning(actually reset every breaker in the rack) and error will not clear.

The other rack is a 96 dimmer rack and it is repeatedly showing errors for every module being removed. I cleared every one last night, except module 46, which would not clear. Today the errors on that rack are all back.

Do you have all AF modules in the rack? If not, it's probable that the rack's Advanced Features were turned on without having the AF modules. If you do have all AF modules in the rack, it sounds like the AF cards that interpret the signals could be malfunctioning. What generation are these racks? Depending on the CEM generation, you may be able to disable the Advanced Features through the menus or you may need to regenerate the defaults in the rack. I would recommend calling us at 800-688-4116 when you can be in front of the rack to troubleshoot.

I'll be out there all week, but only this week. SHow's this weekend and I won't be out there again until next January/February. This isn't high on my priority list either as it seems to be working as is and the show needs a crap ton of work. Worst case I leave a note with the tech person(director of this show) there(has a basic understanding of everything), and they can call or have someone come look at it.

Installation dates to about 2008 from what I recall. I'll attach pics of the job number and such.

Attachments

• rack pic.jpg
    rack pic.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 293
Based on the job number and configuration we have on file, it is indeed a Sensor+ system with Advanced Features. I would recommend that you let the tech person know and troubleshoot with us when y'all have time since the configuration on site is one that shouldn't be regenerated from scratch.

Just had a few minutes to take a look at the racks.

A few years ago they had LED house lights installed. They swapped some modules around and replaced some. Not sure whay. Result is that I lost a circuit on the front of stage and the school thinks the old systems was a mess. Swapped out modules in the "small" rack. I noticed tonight the 2 relay modules are R20's(dimmers 117-120.) Not sure if that would affect anything. All I know for certain is that Ilost a precious front of stage circuit and that it seems 118 is empty.

Just had a few minutes to take a look at the racks.
I noticed tonight the 2 relay modules are R20's(dimmers 117-120.) Not sure if that would affect anything.

Does it actually say "R20" on the module and not "R20AF"? This is entirely possible if the smaller rack is a certain vintage of Unison, and is exactly why you're having AF error issues. It will still function correctly as a relay, but the AF features won't be available.

Based on the job number and configuration we have on file, it is indeed a Sensor+ system with Advanced Features. I would recommend that you let the tech person know and troubleshoot with us when y'all have time since the configuration on site is one that shouldn't be regenerated from scratch.

Does it actually say "R20" on the module and not "R20AF"? This is entirely possible if the smaller rack is a certain vintage of Unison, and is exactly why you're having AF error issues. It will still function correctly as a relay, but the AF features won't be available.

Starksk looked up the original install and it is a Sensor+ system with advanced features. I don't know exactly what went on when the LED houselights were installed. From the box of replaced dimmers left over from that, it appears they changed every module to a new one and the only real change would be dimmers 117 & 118 became relays. 119 & 120 were originally relay power for outlets for moving fixtures. 120 was taken from that to power new aisle lights. The outlets labeled 120 are now connected to 119, so all moving light/DMX toy power comes from a single 20amp relay. There is a one relay module in the box of extra dimmers and it is also an R20, as are the 2 in the rack now. Not R20AF modules.

There is a one relay module in the box of extra dimmers and it is also an R20, as are the 2 in the rack now. Not R20AF modules.

It's a little odd that you would have a non-AF module in a system that's all AF, but that does explain the error message. There's no harm in just using as-is and ignoring the message for now, but there are also things that can be done in configuration (with the help of ETC support) to make the error message go away.

... the only real change would be dimmers 117 & 118 became relays. 119 & 120 were originally relay power for outlets for moving fixtures. ...
This is the important change to be aware of since circuits you might expect to dim will only turn on/off in this instance.
... There is a one relay module in the box of extra dimmers and it is also an R20, as are the 2 in the rack now. Not R20AF modules.
This is fine. See:
They are the same module with a different sticker on the front and bottom. Unison DR and DRd racks do not support AF features so we choose not to list the AF in the module type to avoid confusion about why one "can't get AF to work" in their DR/DRd. Either module will work in either rack type (Unison vs Sensor) and when AF cards are present in Sensor racks, you can get AF feedback.
I still recommend calling us to troubleshoot in front of the rack to get to the root cause of the AF errors.

This is the important change to be aware of since circuits you might expect to dim will only turn on/off in this instance.

This is fine. See:
I still recommend calling us to troubleshoot in front of the rack to get to the root cause of the AF errors.

I'm off site until next January most likely. I'll advise the schools tech person to call you.

The dimmers that were switched to relays won't be an issue as to expecting them to dim. 117 is connected to one bank of house lights on a low ceiling(rest of the house lights are dimmable on a higher ceiling), 118 I have no idea what it's connected to and I suspect its unused. If it were me, I'd swap 120(aisle lights) to dimmer 118, and split 119 back up into 119 and 120, as was the original design.

One question though. If both none AF modules are in the "small" rack(cir bkr 24 tripped), could that be causing the issue in the "big" rack(showing error messages for every module being removed, when their not). No non-AF modules in the "big" rack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back