Sensor Rack not playing nice with LightFactory 2

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I just got LightFactory 2 and was going to start patching dimmers for a future cutover to the PC-based lighting controller replacing our Express (and eventually using it as a control wing) and I plugged into one of our DMX access ports (there are three) and I was not able to get any of the dimmers to respond.

I went to the rack, reset both CEM's and the architectural control at which point I noticed one by one, dimmers began to show that they were receiving signal. I walked out on stage and sure enough every light in the house was on full.

I went back, reset it again and same thing. In order, each dimmer was coming on full at about a maximum rate of 2-4 per second, but not consistent in tempo. When I unplugged the DMX line from the ENT TEC USB Pro, immediate blackout.

I checked that my computer was not sending anything other than 0 on all channels of DMX (at least according to it's DMX view). Testing the cable showed data on both pins and my express was powered off (but not unplugged).

This happened once before when a road LD tapped in using a Jands console. He couldn't get control at first and we tried both inputs, when we switched it fixed it. However, this time round it was the opposite input port, so I'm guessing that's not the issue.

The only other thing I can think to mention is that the racks both showed "No Data Port A" errors, which is normal for when the console is off, but the "Sensor" red light was solid and not blinking like it does when the console is off. I should also mention that there is an issue with the architectural control where it will bring random dimmers between 1-24 up to varying degrees of intensity on its own. I realize this is probably the most logical place to begin, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced such a systematic action from the dimmers. It really felt like it was running a diagnostic or something, just one light up after another. Sometimes it would go quickly, and others it would seem to dwell before moving on until each dimmer was cranking at full.

After switching to the other input port a few times and a few more resets, I managed to get control over the rack. Anyone deal with this before? Thankfully, it's not a crisis since we don't plan on using LightFactory exclusively for a few months as we purchase a few more bits of hardware to make it comparable to the Express, I'd just like to figure out why it's doing this so that when we do cut over we can avoid that.

-ED

Hi There,

Lots of questions to ask. This might be more quickly answered by giving us a ring here at 800-775-4382.

In the meantime....

- Which control module is in the rack....CEM, CEM+ or CEM3?
- When you plugged into the DMX line, did you have the Express unplugged from the other input? Even if off, it should be unplugged.
- Do you always have the exact same problem as the exact same time with both racks?
- What version software is in your control module in the rack? I ask this because only a couple of very old software versions will blink the beacon if there is no data. The other option is that it will blink when there is a data error. If this is the case, when the Express is plugged in but off, it may indicate a wiring error, bad terminator board or weak receiver chips.

Based on answers, I will have many more questions.

So sorry, not a simple answer here to the problem.

Let me know,

David

- Which control module is in the rack....CEM, CEM+ or CEM3?
CEM
- When you plugged into the DMX line, did you have the Express unplugged from the other input?
It was plugged in this time, however the other instance with the Jands it was unplugged and made no discernible difference. I should also note, that incident was about 6 months ago at this point. In this case, it began to take control shortly after I switched it back to the original input (after trying the other one) and reset the rack and the arch controller.
- Do you always have the exact same problem as the exact same time with both racks?
Both racks were lighting up with signal in sequential order.
- What version software is in your control module in the rack? I ask this because only a couple of very old software versions will blink the beacon if there is no data. The other option is that it will blink when there is a data error. If this is the case, when the Express is plugged in but off, it may indicate a wiring error, bad terminator board or weak receiver chips.
It's 2.14. The beacon will blink when the Express is off, I know that they replaced the dmx cable running from the racks to the console upstairs at some point due to an issue where all the dimmers would come on full without any input. It does say the normal no data Port A when the express is off.

Thanks for the help, David. I ran into trouble last year with a few dimmers randomly powering on and spoke to you on Controlbooth about it, however it was right at the end of our summer slow time and I never got a chance to follow up with the helpline. I'll try and call in tomorrow morning and see if we can troubleshoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back