Sensor Rack Question

jason77

I am renting a sensor rack with 48 - 2.4k dimmers for use in an older venue.

Here is where my lack of knowledge comes into play. What are the power requirements for the rack? I know that it requires 400a and there is where my knowledge ends. We have an electrician coming to look at the venue to ensure that there is adequate power available. Is there any additional information that will need to be given to the electrician? I am assuming that I will need 3 phase power with camlock connectors; but I want to make sure that I am not making anything up.

Here is a fun little sidebar on the venue that I am sure that someone will enjoy… The existing dimming system in the venue is a Kliegl system originally commissioned in 1919 with a total of 77 dimmers; granted they are all 7k and 12k’s. I think we might be due for an upgrade, but where else can you power FOH with a few dimmers!

Thanks for the help!

You will need 208v WYE 3phase power. I doubt you will need an entire 400 amp service, but if you can get it do, it will leave space for another rack. As far as cams go, if you can get cams put in, that's the way to go. Look at company switch in the glossary, that is the ideal situation. Another way to go, which is not the best, is to have a disconnect put in. With a disconnect you need to have an electrician come out and "tie-in" tails to the disconnect so you can then run cams to your dimmers.

I am glad you are having an electrician come out. If you have any questions on how to hook up the dimmers, I am sure whoever you are renting the dimmers from will be able to help you out.

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to make sure that I don't sound clueless when I explain what I need.

I have a question. Have you ever brought in dimmers to this venue before? Has anyone? Is there a place to tie in? What will you do if your electrician shows up and tells you that there is no place to tie in? I would think that a quick call to the venue would let you know if it is possible to do what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back