Control/Dimming Sensor+ Touring Racks

bestboy

I spent some time looking at the ETC website and I was looking around at these touring racks. I'm in the position where I'm looking and no where near buying but I was wondering some stuff that may seem elementary to people who do touring shows so if you wouldn't mind me asking..

How do they get their power? I'm guessing Cam Locks? What if your in a venue where there are no cam lock outputs? Are there any other options to power them?

Can you choose how you want your power to be sent out? Edison, Stage pin, Twist lock? And are all the connections on the back panel?

Thanks for answers in advanced!

Nearly all venues have what is called a company switch. Using either bare ends or cam locks feeder cable is tied in to company switch and connected to the dimmers. Venues that do not have company switches usually are not bringing in shows the require them. It is possible to tie a rack into any 208v circuit box though you have to have an electrician do that for you.

Nearly all touring racks found in the US have socapex outputs that is patchable via a patch panel in half the rack. You can get the rack made with whatever outputs you want though, from stagepin, to twistlock, to edison.

Yep. If there are no cams you use a set of "tails" which are basically camlock feeder with bare wire at one end and attach them, although any more detail probably violates the TOS here. Any good tour will have a set or two for each run of feeder. Typically, the house electrician will be required to do it. Also advisable to have a set of turnarounds or two, because sometimes the house is wired backwards.

As for how a dimmer rack is configured, pretty much any way you want. Stage pin, edison, soca, you name it. Some have some convenience outlets, some have work lights built in, some will have cam pass-thru.

Distros, there's even more variety since you can have 110v and 208v circuits on the same rack to power movers, etc.

See Sensor+ Small Touring Rack Datasheet.pdf for the various options available, including:
OPTIONS
Advanced Features (AF) dimmer load monitoring
Custom configurations
Custom output panels
Enhanced patch – 4 outputs per dimmer
Motor and moving light option panels
Available for 240V operation or switchable 120/240V operation

One suggestion--be sure to spend the money for the "Enhanced patch – 4 outputs per dimmer." On occasions where I've run into a rack with only two holes per dimmer, it's caused some issues. Using 575W lamps, one can only put two on a dimmer, without twoferring on the pipe. Normally not a problem, except when using IWBs.

See Sensor+ Small Touring Rack Datasheet.pdf for the various options available, including:

One suggestion--be sure to spend the money for the "Enhanced patch – 4 outputs per dimmer." On occasions where I've run into a rack with only two holes per dimmer, it's caused some issues. Using 575W lamps, one can only put two on a dimmer, without twoferring on the pipe. Normally not a problem, except when using IWBs.
... FOUR outputs per dimmer?
Like... four seperate outputs... like multi-plexed multiplexers?

Or... just a larger amp rating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back