Serious Injury on Spiderman

I guess one of the things that confuses me is, as I posted before, They describe the action of the show as " He moves ...as if to leap.... stops at an angle that one can only do with support from behind...". But clearly, When Spidey goes over the edge, that line is still attached. whether it breaks lower in the fall or the harness gives way later in the fall is secondary to the original problem of 'the guy wasn't supoosed to go over the edge anyway'. Well That's one thing that confuses me. The other thing is Fruit on the bottom Yogurt, How do they do that ?

According to at least one of the stories the line was supposed to stop him as he leaned out. The lights were supposed to blackout so it looked like he goes over. Evidently the line was never hooked so when he leaned there was nothing stopping him.

...The other thing is Fruit on the bottom Yogurt, How do they do that ?

That was quite a leap there (No pun intended). Going from actors falling (Or jumping) while no one knows what was supposed to happen...to yogurt manufacturing processes. (If you put fruit in the bottom of the container, then add yogurt, fruit stays on the bottom!!!!!) :)

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear at this point that this injury happened because the hostage end of the cable was not properly connected by the stage hand or double checked by the actor. The interesting thing, from the rumors I hear, may turn out to be the cause of the previous "sling shot" injuries. Although, I'm suspicious we may never hear the truth on those injuries.

Chris: Do you have fruit on top of your yogurt downunder?

Chris: Do you have fruit on top of your yogurt downunder?

Stop it, Gaff! That'd be like "crossing the streams" and you NEVER cross the streams.

It'd be like Googling the word "Google". Spacetime would collapse.

And ONLY Chuck Norris can divide by zero!

By the way, he isn't allowed to talk about where he works but trust your old buddy Gaff here, What Rigger? is the real deal. He's got one of the coolest jobs in the world if you ask me. He is responsible for the lives of several people in a couple of different amazing flights/stunts on a daily basis. He is connected and has a lot of friends. If he says Fisher is not at fault and should be trusted for all things cool and dangerous, believe him.

:[ Now I'm really curious where he works! :/

My brother (who is an NYC producer) is going to see Spiderman tonight with my mom and sister....I'll let you know what they think! He should be able to give me (some) insight into the technical end of things and what he thinks of them.

:[ Now I'm really curious where he works! :/

Unfortunately many members of the CB community with the coolest jobs are forced to remain anonymous about where they work. Imagine if a member showed up bragging about his really cool job at Cirque. He would be seen as an expert FROM Cirque. What happens if his advice goes horribly wrong? People blame Cirque, not the poster... potentially even in court. There are also many people who know some highly proprietary trade secrets. Again, a little bragging here could get the whole company in trouble. In some cases there is nothing to hide but the companies are just paranoid. Personally I chose to hide the name of where I work because I want the freedom to say what I want about my life without fearing retribution at work. It's a difficult choice many of us must make.

My advice to everyone is to get to know people via PM off the forums. Sometimes this leads to fun virtual-friendships, maybe learning cool secrets about where people work, getting a crazy picture sent to you in a text of something somewhere that people will never believe, or maybe even a back stage tour of really cool places that people just don't get to go (I've had all of these thanks to CB friends). But mostly it makes hanging out on CB a lot more fun when you know the people behind the posts.

The most difficult part of being part of the "arm chair" safety committee is that we are mainly getting our information from secondary sources and poor quality video. When we speculate relying on eye-witness testimony from audience members who do not understand what they saw or non-technical reporters who do not understand the difference between wire-rope, tech-12 rope, mountaineering rope, or any other kind of rope, let alone in how they are used or why they are different, we are going to have faulty information. Heck, I have been misquoted in trade journals and had to basically re-write the portion of the article about my work.

What we have here is yet another senseless accident. This time by professionals who should have known what they were doing. In a month or so, we may have some better clue of what happened, but if there is any kind of legal litigation, we will most likely have to wait until the court proceedings have completed.

Well my mom and sister loved the stunts and the set, saying they were the best they've seen on Broadway. They went Christmas night. They thought the acting and singing was laughable, they couldn't believe how terrible it was (and they love most of the broadway shows they see!). My brother left halfway through (but he does most of the time) along with 2 couples and a few scattered people they could see in their row and the row in front of them. They said that for the visual element I should go see it, but they wouldn't be recommending it to their friends.

Yeah I have middle child syndrome wasn't invited! HAHA

The New Yorker took their shot at Spidey this week:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Evidently Letterman did too. Number 8 on the, "You know your year is starting badly" was you find out you are the new stunt double on Spiderman.

I go back to my Nascar theory on this one... they only reason people are watching is to see something explode.

That's the summary of the what the New Yorker article says.

...“Remember that pride is the worst of the seven deadly sins,” Portmann went on. “Maybe what people are saying is ‘I think that Broadway is getting way out of control and I’m happy to see failure, so I’m willing to see actors get hurt. Then the producers will see that they are walking down a path that I didn’t endorse.’ ”

John Munder Ross, a psychologist and the author of “The Sadomasochism of Everyday Life,” said that we all have an unconscious desire to experience pain vicariously, and that theatregoing can ritualize these tendencies. “If it’s collective, it attenuates the individual guilt.”

Kathleen Coleman, a Harvard classics professor and a consultant on the movie “Gladiator,” found precedent in Roman chariot racing. “There could be terrible accidents at the turns, and if you sat at the end of the track you’d have a better view,” she said. She was reminded of an incident described by Suetonius, in which an actor performing for the emperor Nero attempted a stunt that went haywire. “It was probably some sort of acrobatic leap,” she said. “He crashed too close to where the Emperor was sitting and spattered the Emperor with blood.” The show? A retelling of the myth of Icarus, who, like the cast of “Spider-Man,” was having major flying issues.

Read more Thrills and spills for the new Spider-Man musical : The New Yorker

Its also getting them more press then any show ever. Even bad press is better then no press. If they some how manage to get an even decent review after they open the show might do well. Everyone in the U.S. who does not have their head in the sand knows about this show. My grandparents who have never seen a Broadway show in their lives asked me about it over Christmas. The 3 toothed yokel who is taking a big trip to the city is going to see this show because they have heard about it and they might get to see something blow up. They aren't going to care that the book sucks. This is a tourist show for people who have never been to a Broadway show. Its in one of the closest theatres to times square as well which will help. I am starting to think this show is going to make it. I don't think its going to get anything come Tony time, but those things are sell outs anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back