Setting rules about mics?

cVictoria

This may seem like a stupid question, but generally, how would one go about setting rules about wireless mics and miking for actors? I've had some trouble recently, and I've decided that I need to set some ground rules, but I don't want to come off as being mean. Thanks in advance!

Our sound designer will normally give a speech regarding rules and policies. All of our performers report to the audio crew to be miced and unmiced. This prevents a lot of damage. Even though some of the cast still won't listen. If you let everyone know what you expect...that's all you can really do.

I always give my little speech explaining the cost of everything. Like the transmitter pack is $600 and the head mic is $600. Telling them it costs $1,200 is a great scare tactic without being mean. It may not be true, but they don't know any better. Also, I explicitly tell them who is allowed to put on and take off mics and who to find if they need something adjusted. Every show I have one or two break and I make sure to tell them that a few mics have broken so some people may lose their mics due to insufficient resources. Overall, I am really looking forward to hearing other responses as I always lose mics. Hence why I started buying cheap stuff for my high schoolers. It lasts just as long and functions roughly the same.

Telling them that if they lose/break the mic then they will not have one is usually enough of a deterrent. Sometimes you just need to be a dick though.

I usually get the director to give the cast a short introduction, to tell the actors (especially when similar in age to me) that they basically have to listen to what I say or else. This usually helps during the next stage of telling the not-always-so-cooperative actors what to do. When the actors report to recieve their mics before the first dress/tech with mics I give them a whole speech about how the process will work, what could go wrong and what the consequences will be, including all the expenses. As a general rule, once my assistant or I have placed the (lav) microphone, taped and all, it is not moved, adjusted or even touched by anyone but a stage manager or a member of the sound crew. As soon as the show ends, they must report to the FOH audio position or otherwise designated backstage drop-off point. At this point the actor may take off their own mic but they must wait until a member of the sound crew takes it from their hand and says its okay to go. This of course is when working with high, middle and elementary school students so outside that realm it may be much different.

Usually our sound designer gives a speech on the responsibility of having a mic, and that they are expensive. It is usually more about offstage talking and missed mic cues, than breaking them though. We would use the "if you break it you wont get another" tactic, but the whole deparment knows we have forty, and for any given show we only use thirty, so that wouldn't work. Regardless, the asst sound designers mic the actors/actresses in their dressing rooms before they are in costume, then the costume is put on, the makeup is applied, and then we do a mic check. Right after the show, while the performers are getting undressed, once all the essential costume pieces are off, the mic is immediately removed. As a sidenote, we keep our mics in four seperate rollong rackmount carts with locks that require two keys, so that a) it takes the Student TD and the Student Sound Designer to open any of them, and b) in the case that something should happen to one of the racks, we would have only lost ten mics, not all forty.

In my venue, we also do the mic brief for performers who aren't accustomed to performing with reinforcement. A lot of our clients include very wealthy private schools or university programs with both kids and adults who have very little experience with mics. Along with the basics (don't blow into the mic, shout into it randomly, slam it, jerk it, tap on it, etc), I make sure to tell the younger performers that accidents do happen, and that's cool. BUT, if there is any horseplay or if you do something my staff or crew have told you NOT to do, you will find that mic to be OFF. I don't care if it's during a performance or your solo... if you can't play by the rules, you don't play.

Of course, I have *never* muted a performer during a performance on purpose but it's a great scare tactic to the rowdy kids in a cast, especially if you do it during rehearsal. Works every time!

I also encourage them to ask questions and make sure the stagehand who is assisting with sound on deck is ready to answer even the most basic ones. You find that performers are less likely to damage the kit when they actually know how and WHY it works. Most think mics are magic devices that instantly makes you sound like Lil Wayne or Lady Gaga, and don't realize that they're actually sensitive (and expensive) little buggers

Unlike above, I do not allow the actors to remove the mics themselves. Since I have some very nice mics ranging all the way down to cheap ones that I don't like or trust but am forced to use because of budget constraints, I will downgrade actors if I see them abusing my mics. I had one actor drop my nice EV RE 1 pack (thankfully it's metal), but he should have known better. He has treated the crappier mic much better from then on.

Thanks for all these recommendations guys! Most of the actors are older or very close to me in age, but they're usually intimidated by our director, so I'll ask him to help me give a small speech and enforce my rules. Thanks again!

Tape before makeup!

No makeup on the mic or cable!

Do not use the mic or the cable to pull the tape off - get your fingernail under the tape and peel it off.

Do not touch any of the buttons/controls/connections.

Do not help yourself - wait to be given your mic by the wrangler (since you are too stupid to remember that you are #6).

Do not turn the mic off after the show (we want to see if the batteries have enough juice left to be used for rehearsals).

Do not wrap the cable around the mic or pack.

Thanks for all these recommendations guys! Most of the actors are older or very close to me in age, but they're usually intimidated by our director, so I'll ask him to help me give a small speech and enforce my rules. Thanks again!

This is what I do. I'm always hired in, usually by the director, and it's kind of odd for me to be putting the fear of god into young kids that I've never met. But the director's been doing that all year so it's a little more natural. Let the director know your rules, but I've found that most directors at least know proper mic etiquette. Also, they don't want to pay for them and they don't want to be down a mic, so they're just as vested as you in keeping them at least functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back