Setting up an MA2 ONPC rig

Thetechmanmac

So for a while now I have been using MagicQ with a touchscreen (have not bought any Chamsys hardware) and it has served my needs well. As the company I work for expands in the lighting realm we are going looking into control options, specifically hardware. My main question: How much will it cost to get any DMX output from onpc without any MA hardware? How about with MA hardware? (command wing). Is onpc free to download just to do some "messing around" offline?

What are the main differences between MagicQ and MA2? All of my shows are festival and rock and roll, flash n trash type stuff. Should we invest into an MA2 rig or stick with Chamsys gear? I'm curious to try out onpc to see what its like, since MA has such the bold reputation.

M

MA2 onPC is free to download and play around with, as is MA3D if you want to play around with a free visualizer. In order to output DMX you'll need a node, the simplest version is 1 universe and runs about $1900. Alternatively, you can get a command wing for roughly $5800 which also serves as the node and outputs DMX from the computer, so you won't need the separate node if you go that route.

You might also take a look at Avolites, very feature rich and fairly popular. They have a fairly low price 1 universe dongle too.

I recommend looking for something that you can grow as your experience and rig size grows, so something that has some hardware interface options. I also always recommend downloading any software you are thinking about and trying out the UI. Most all are free to download a non output version, so before you spend any money, why not try it out?!

Avolites
Chamsys
ETC Nomad (has a hardware option)
Martin

I would recommend the Martin option. I just bought an M-Touch for under $500 which is a nice control surface. You can get one universe out for about $60 ish for an Enttec open dongle. For most small to medium shows its great. Don't get me wrong I love programming on GrandMA but it's hard to justify the price sometimes.

One nice thing about the GrandMA is the support for MIDI controllers out of the box. It opens it up to custom hardware like this- http://anthonymillerdesign.net/blog/midi-encoders Just a fun hardware project I made myself.

I recommend looking for something that you can grow as your experience and rig size grows, so something that has some hardware interface options. I also always recommend downloading any software you are thinking about and trying out the UI. Most all are free to download a non output version, so before you spend any money, why not try it out?!

Avolites
Chamsys
ETC Nomad (has a hardware option)
Martin

Hog, as well...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Man, MA is expensive, but you get what you pay for. @ChamSysUSA , don't get me wrong, MagicQ is awesome and it is an extremely capable platform. I was just curious about MA2 to see about pricing, and I would like to learn MA2 programming. I think it is a valuable skill to have as an up and coming designer and programmer.

As I have stated in recent threads, if I am going to purchase a console, It is probably going to be an MQ80 (used). I have gotten to know the software very well and have done quite a few shows on it now. I really need to have lots of faders and buttons I can touch, preferably on one console. (I am not particularly interested in an M-touch).

And now we bring in Avo. I have heard many good things about Titan, but have yet to try it out. An Avo Quartz is on my radar. There are so many products out there that each have their respective strengths and weaknesses, I have just landed with Chamsys. Mainly for the amount of functionality for virtually no cost (Kudos to them for offering the bulk of their software for free. I don't know of anyone else in the upper-end market that offers 18 unis of art-net for free).

Maybe one day I'll get to do a show on a full size MA2...

MA2 is the most sophisticated complex and feature rich control gear there is. Its solid and capable and will do anything. Its also total overkill for most situations. But as you say, being able to walk up to an MA2 and program and operate it is a great skill to have because they are not going away anytime soon. I cannot see MA Light "doing a Strand"
I think you have already talked yourself into an MA wing. Its actually pretty good value. The node is not. And you need hardware. Buttons and faders are a must. There is only so much you can do poking a screen.
But.....if you just want to get the job done then stick with ChamSys. It is incredibly capable gear and I have seen massive and beautiful shows operated on MagicQ. Nothing wrong with it at all. Get a PC wing compact for less than 2 grand or step up to a MQ80. You can add another wing if you need more control surface.
Avolites is superb and is what I mostly use and its no better or pworse, just different.

I don't see many Avos at all in my world. I see chamsys once in a while. I see hogs less often than that.

Basically I feel that if you're looking to drive big rigs fast, MA2 is the obvious answer.

If you're more into spending a week or two adjusting the front light by a point, the ETC line is the only place I'd look.

Just my opinions, of course.

Once I started programming on GrandMa and Later MA2 I was convinced there was no other option and that I would never go anywhere else...
That is until I started looking at buying my own Hardware.... So then I looked at Martin and realised that M-PC is brilliant.
M-PC, A cheap ArtNet or DMX-USB node. Some generic midi hardware with MPC tools or martin proprietary control surfaces. And you have a seriously awesome and cost effective package. Throw in some touch screens and an Ipad and things keep getting better.

And M-PC ultimately offers as much functionality and usability as MA2 if not more as everything is packaged in an extremely pretty to look at interface.
+1 For Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back