Should I get a new saw? How much do y'all use your table saws?

JLNorthGA

We've an older Delta contractor's saw (Model 10) with stamped steel wings and a tube mounted fence. It was formerly owned by a contractor and has seen better days. The stand is not the best. It does work though. I can rip up to 24" W using the saw. I've ripped 2 x with the saw and it is okay if I do it slowly.

A newer Delta contractor's saw with a 1 1/2 hp motor, cast iron wings and a 30" Biesemeyer fence is available. It is a lot nicer saw. It is heavier, more robust and has all the accessories such as a dado insert as well as some spare blades.

Realistically - the table saw is the least used tool in our shop. Should I consider replacing it? The price of the other saw would be on the order of $600 (and I have to go pick it up). The new saw would give us the capability to rip up to 30" - which is a big plus. It would have a Biesemeyer fence - which is more precise and accurate than the old tube mounted fence. The 1 1/2 hp motor would be similar.

If I want to do heavy ripping - I have my cabinet saw (5 hp) available at home. I also have all the accessories (dado inserts, dado blades, tenoning jig, etc.).

Should I consider it? Is it worth begging and pleading for the extra bucks?

Since you mostly rip on your table saw, have you considered a panel saw? Takes up a lot less space but no dados or other table saw toys. Just a thought...

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

... Realistically - the table saw is the least used tool in our shop. ...
What other saws in your shop are used more? And why? Usually, the table saw is the most important stationary power tool in a woodworking shop, due to its versatility. Perhaps your construction methods make this untrue for you. It sounds to me that, if the new saw candidate had more power, there wouldn't be any question.

Several years ago, to make room in the garage, I sold my Corvette and bought a good Delta contractors saw. I'm glad I didn't buy a cabinet saw. Especially seeing as how I haven't used the contractors saw in two years. (But it still requires less attention than the Corvette did.)

It sounds like you've made your mind up--you can find more important needs/wants on which to spend that $600, that you don't have.

(I'll also mention SawStop before gafftaper does.)

What other saws in your shop are used more? And why? Usually, the table saw is the most important stationary power tool in a woodworking shop, due to its versatility. Perhaps your construction methods make this untrue for you. It sounds to me that, if the new saw candidate had more power, there wouldn't be any question.

Several years ago, to make room in the garage, I sold my Corvette and bought a good Delta contractors saw. I'm glad I didn't buy a cabinet saw. Especially seeing as how I haven't used the contractors saw in two years. (But it still requires less attention than the Corvette did.)

It sounds like you've made your mind up--you can find more important needs/wants on which to spend that $600, that you don't have.

(I'll also mention SawStop before gafftaper does.)

If I have to beg for $600 - where do you think I'll find $1600 for a Sawstop Contractor's saw?? I'd love to have one. I tested one out a while back and thought it was very nice.

The most important saw in the shop is the compound miter saw. We use it for almost everything. But we have one and it works well and is relatively new and in good shape.

I won't argue about a table saw being the most important thing in a woodworking shop. I use mine all the time. Set building - not so much. I'm mostly crosscutting lumber with the CMS and I am very rarely ripping with the table saw.

Since you mostly rip on your table saw, have you considered a panel saw? Takes up a lot less space but no dados or other table saw toys. Just a thought...

I have also found a panel saw to be a lot easier to use than a table saw if you just need to take a 4x8 sheet of whatever and make it smaller.

Not questioning or criticizing, but I just can't imagine a scene shop where the table saw isn't in constant use. I guess you're mostly using a circular saw on sheet goods. (?) I recently spent $900 to replace our aging contractor's saw (with 48" capacity) with a used 3-HP cabinet saw, and it's the best $900 I ever spent.

Not questioning or criticizing, but I just can't imagine a scene shop where the table saw isn't in constant use. I guess you're mostly using a circular saw on sheet goods. (?) I recently spent $900 to replace our aging contractor's saw (with 48" capacity) with a used 3-HP cabinet saw, and it's the best $900 I ever spent.

When we started building our flat inventory - we made the flats 1', 2', 3' or 4' W x 10' tall. We had to rip and crosscut a lot of lauan plywood (5 mm). Since then - we just assemble the flats together. Once in a while we have to rip something - but it is not too common.

Fair enough. I take it you buy 1x3/1x4 rather than ripping your own from 1x12? http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/19012-flat-construction.html .

I buy 1 x 4 rather than rip - it costs the same per board foot at our lumber dealer. Also he throws in an extra or two on occasion. He also sponsors some of our concerts of local musicians.

If you have the money and the space, go for it. A better saw is a safer saw. If you have to baby it when ripping 2x lumber, you're risking kickback and serious stress on the motor. You'll probably use it more if it works better than the old one too.

I know a lot more about woodworking than theater so finally a thread I can comment on. :) honestly, I can't see going with anything other than a sawstop at the moment. If you have others using it, especially in a public educational field, etc, a sawstop will be an easy sell to any finance or admin type. Plus, they are actually really good saws.

However, consider a track saw, like festool, and their mft table as an alternative. I wouldn't want to rip hardwood all day with one, but if I were setting up a scene shop now, I would want a good track saw. They are super versatile.

I personally find a contractor model table saw to be next to useless in my shop. I have a 5 HP Cabinetry saw as a stationary in my shop and I have a Dewalt contractors saw for use in the theatre or out in the assembly area for lightweight stuff. When I see " I can rip 2x on it if I go slow enough..." That just scares the heck out of me. Eventually someone is going to get frustrated and push too hard and the saw is going to toppleor the wood is going to bind. I can certainly understand not being able to drop the wad on a Sawstop but even getting a decent small uni-saw would be an improvement. I guess I understand when you explain that all your flats are already built so you are mostly just pulling out stock and screwing it together, but what about when it's time to build new ?

"It's a poor carpenter who blames his tools"
BUT
"A man's work is only as good as his tools"

Last edited:
if this is for a high school shop i would say you could get away with a panel saw for 95% of construction needs and then anything needing a table saw you could do at home with your saw , it's going to be much safer than a table saw and give the same(ish) results when ripping 4X8 sheets, but if it is a college shop i think it's important for those students to learn what you can do with a table saw. (most of which i had little idea until i saw it done)

If I remember right, he's a volunteer based community theatre. So not a school setting. I will say that my table saw doesn't get as much use because I don't have a large table for sheets. If I had a panel saw it would be getting used pretty consistently as it would work much better than a circular saw.

Via tapatalk

Depending on usage, a table saw may not really be useful for you. Our table saw has been broken for several years now, and we haven't been able to fix it. It doesn't seem to slow us down too much, although only about 6 people in our stagecraft class use the saws for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back