Show Run Essentials

I'm wondering what you guys on here see as essentials to have on your person during a performance if your running something during the show.

Here's mine:
Pocketknife
Crescent Wrench
Screwdriver
2 Flashlights
Laserpointer

And of course gaff tape near by.

What's in your pockets during the run of a show?

Depends what I'm doing. If I'm stage managing, then a stopwatch and a pencil, pretty much nothing else. If I'm ASM or run crew, then my Gerber, Maglite, headtorch, and usually a Sharpie and a pencil. I'm curious about the laser pointer - it's not something I've ever felt the need to have!

My basics are:

Minimag
LED red/white flashlight
pocketknife
sharpie
setwear gloves
and a handy roll of gaff.

If I'm stage managing, I like to add a bag with extra sharpies, pens, pencils, needle and thread, gaff, spike tape, Tylenol, munchies, paperclips, safety pins, etc.

Not necessairily on your person but...

I ensure a basic first aid kit is easily accessible, I include 4x4 bandages, bandaids, tylenol, advil, immodium a-d, tums, tweezers, curlex rolls, tape, and a few other odd's & ends. I personally keep a SAM Splint and two triangle bandages also. But then I'm a ski patroller and kinda uptight about having proper first-aid supplies handy.

If you people are employeed in the theater, OSHA Requires an OSHA approved first-aid kit backstage. I don't think highly of them for a number of reasons. Consult your local laws regarding their use, depending where you live you may be required to use the OSHA approved first-aid kit for anyone on payroll at the time of the injury.

Also I require all my theater people to go through the American Red Cross Basic first-aid & adult CPR or equivilent courses.

Also I require all my theater people to go through the American Red Cross Basic first-aid & adult CPR or equivilent courses.

Huzzah!

Your wisdom regarding this detail has been noted and I commend you!

I do mostly concert work and if I'm doing audio I will lose the C-wrench, otherwise, here it is:

Sog Trident folding knife
Sog PowerLock multitool
Fenix TK10 flashlight
sharpee
crescent wrench goes with me when I'm working for others, or it stays in my workbox on gigs where I'm providing
I usually leave my keys and phone in my gig bag because I hate having so much crap on me

I also carry with me in my gig bag:
laptop (how else would I be on CB while at this gig?)
Audio Technica M50 headphones
1" white gaff for console labeling
spare water for the times when I can't find them at the gig
disinfectant wipes because I hate driving home with dirty hands
lots of sharpees and business cards
camera and USB cable
Excedrin
folder labeled "This Gig" for all relevant gig info (stage plots, etc.)
notepad
envelope for receipts when I'm on the road
IEM's/earplugs
work gloves

Also in my bag right now is Gatorade, canned tea, hot tea bags, Famous Amos cookies, M&M's, and a bit of trick line.

Last edited:
Also in my bag right now is Gatorade, canned tea, hot tea bags, Famous Amos cookies, M&M's, and a bit of trick line.

Have you ever had the knock off of Famous Amos Cookies? Their called Hanous Anus cookies, and they are dreadful

As far as what i carry, Mag light, Crescent, gloves, multi-tool. anything else is in my bag about 2 foot away when i'm on console duty.

During a RUN of a show or during the load in/strike period of a show?

During a run you should not need anything beyond a flashlight unless your scenery is falling apart. If your in blacks, all tools beyond a leatherman should not be on your person, short of a coffin lock key if that is the type of show you are doing.

Phone (Blackberry later this week)
wallet
black Sharpie
pen
Leatherman Wave
Craftsman lockback utility knife (until I find a good blade)
small keyring
leashed 8in adjustable wrench (6 is for girls)

If I am feeling like a badass there may be a Ka-Bar in the vicinity.
:lol:

A coffin lock key? Now I'm interested. Would that be for a speed stage building competition/demonstration, maybe a magic show (get in the coffin and disappear trick)?

I have built and worked on many shows that use coffin locks to hold pieces together during the show. Usually its two pieces that come on from either side of stage and marry together at center. Its a quick way to lock two pieces together. Its more secure then a loose pin hinge and is much faster to lock then trying to drop a pin in the dark.

During show conditions? Leatherman, phone, flashlight, and a few cubits of tieline. Other good things are in my bag.

I did the craftsman locking utility knife thing for a while. Stop, go buy yourself a good knife like the Kershaw Scallion. the craftsman was nice only because I could dish out abuse, but I was amazed at just how much better a nice folder was. The only thing about the scallion is that is an assisted blade and I am not really sure how that works with local and federal law, besides that I fully stand by that knife as an EDC.

during a show, always a knife and a flashlight, at minimum.
knife: Pocket Knives - Drifter - CRKT
flashlight: usually a 2-cell mini-mag

when running the light board, this expands to include my laptop(manuals, breaks) and some type of caffienated beverage.

Keys, Wallet, CRKT M16-12EZR, blue gelled mini-mag.

In the bail-out bag, however, we have a crecent wrench, a Surefire flashlight of some type , a Mag-Lite (4 D cells, i think, maybe 3? Its big), large first aid kit (includes a splinting thing, never had to use it and my personal training does not cover it, one of my co-workers insisted), 2 bottles water, 1 bottle gatorade, some cookies and juice boxes (in case of diabetic issues), a Multi-tool, screwdriver and wirecutters, work gloves, emergency response plans, a walkie-talkie with spare batteries (for communicating with security in the event of a hostage situation), 3 "Area Emergency somethingorother" vests (if there is a fire, we have to put them on and walk everyone out, trying to keep them calm), and a couple other things I cant remember. There was discussion of adding triage zone blankets to the bag, but that just seemed un-neccecary. The Bail-out bag is kept in the booth, and is there to use in emergency response (we have a couple of WEMTs (a cert I will be persuing this coming year) that are part of our program, so the first aid kit is for them), and we have actually used it quite a bit. Its in a nice red bag. We tried to plan for most eventualities, in line with our security people's response planning guidelines. There are set responses for everything from a chemical leak to terrorist attack to someone fainting, and we tried to get as much of the stuff that we could deal with not having profesionals... (there is also a nuclear strike response plan, not sure why, mines go watch the bombs fall)

(there is also a nuclear strike response plan, not sure why, mines go watch the bombs fall)

Um, how old are these safety plans? The US hasn't exactly been in grave danger of a nuclear attack since the Cold War.

A nucular attack, on the other hand, occured during one of Sarah Palin's speeches during the democratic primary... (cheap shot, but it was worth it.)

Leatherman Wave
:

I say keep your lockback. Personally, I have a Husky brand one. I've abused the hell out of it but hey, thats what its for. I'll cut cardboard and carpet with it and thats ok. Tasks that would damage a better blade (cutting emergency gel cuts on a chipboard table top) that destroy normal knife edges fast don't matter when I can pop in a new blade. On top of that, you already have a Wave, with its one-handed blades. One handed tacti-cool knives are fun but I guess I've always been more about function and utility in what I end up carrying

To that end my "essentials" are

Wallet
Keys
Cellphone (usually on silent, but increasingly on vibrate, I've gotten texts from the booth when something goes wrong and they don't know the answer - oh educational theatre)
Mega-Combo Wrench

And on my belt in a Nite-Ize pouch
Leatherman Core
Leatherman Serac S3 Flashlight
Folding utility knife
Victorinox Electrician

Users who are viewing this thread

Back