Show Run Essentials

Back when I did crew in high school all of our tools had to stay locked in our cars during school hours. Only after school or on weekends, and only after we had signed a responsibility agreement, we're we allowed to bring them in.

A buddy of mine once got suspended for having a folder at a football game. He was being STUPID and showing it off.

It's a real shame this country operates on zero tolerance laws and not by the maturity and responsibility of individual minors. Too much work I guess.

JCarroll said:
using a leatherman to cut zipties...

People who use multi tools to trim zip ties are the scourge of stagecraft. At least use diagonal cutters.

/rant

blindbuttkicker said:
hoping to get a Leatherman or a Swiss Army some time (any recommendations and under $60 sorry if this isnt the place

Look at the Leatherman Freestyle or Wingman and the Victorinox Super Tinker. All solid choices around $30.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who use multi tools to trim zip ties are the scourge of stagecraft. At least use diagonal cutters.

/rant

In my opinion, regular diagonal cutters are just as bad as a multi-tool for trimming zip-ties. They still leave a sharp edge. It is better to use flush cutters.

If you are cutting them for removal, I don't see a benefit, other than cutters can actually cut and the multi-tool often has to break the ties due to amount of space.
P11509837.jpg

If you want to get picky about installing cable ties, you use a tie wrap gun. A gun tensions the tie to a set amount and then cuts it perfectly flush. It leaves no sharp edge at all and the tie can be made tighter than one can easily do by hand. I use one all the time when wiring racks full of equipment. However, a Panduit tie wrap gun costs anywhere from $150 to $700, so it is kind of a specialty tool.

For removing cable ties, nothing works better than sharp diagonal cutters.

At my theatre I normally only have on my radio I have to wear, my fenix LD22, my wallet, work keys, a knife and my phone. I don't carry a wrench or anything else unless it's a load in or out.

Undoubtedly a tie-wrap gun is ideal, for racks. Big fan when I'm building racks, but then I'm also builing custom length cable. Though they are a bit overpriced for normal theatrical use and are too specialized an item to be carrying when you want to limit the weight on your person. This is why good flush cutters work for both installing and removing zip-ties. Cut flush with no sharp edges and removal of ties when done.

Back when I did crew in high school all of our tools had to stay locked in our cars during school hours. Only after school or on weekends, and only after we had signed a responsibility agreement, we're we allowed to bring them in.

A buddy of mine once got suspended for having a folder at a football game. He was being STUPID and showing it off.

It's a real shame this country operates on zero tolerance laws and not by the maturity and responsibility of individual minors. Too much work I guess.

/rant

Look at the Leatherman Freestyle or Wingman and the Victorinox Super Tinker. All solid choices around $30.

Thank you so much gafftapegreenia, ive ruled out the Ticker and am thinking the Wingman or Freestyle, very nice and very cheap, thanks again my fellow CB'er :)

Last edited:
It could be, but mainly it's for locking moving scenery pieces together.

Dont forget your cases to! My shop uses coffin locks on any trunk. Mostly because they hold up to the abuse better. Dont work so well on racks and similar type cases with removeable lids and such though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back