Wireless Shure Beta 58a wearing out.

Can someone direct me to any info about maintenance on Wireless Shure Beta 58A microphones? These are almost 13 years old and are in constant use. I have noticed a significent loss of vocal and signal quality this past year. Would replacing the Cartridge, Assembly and Grille help? I would love to just replace the mics but like most High Schools, we operate on a very tight budget.
Thanks for any direction or responses. You all have been terrific!

Please tell us the model of the receiver used. Give us some detail on the nature of the sound problem. Mic capsules can get damaged but it is fairly rare. With wireless systems, there are many more possible causes of problems.

...and with that 13 year old wireless gear is beyond long in the tooth. What are the frequencies the mics operate on? It would not suprise me if you have gear in the 700mhz range and are seeing issues with that.

Thanks for the responses guys!
The receiver units are Shure ULXP4s and the frequencies are: 556.375, 558.825, 557.425, and 559.950.
These mics USED to pick up quite well but now I find I have to ride the levels on the board really high for any vocalist to be heard clearly.
I know they're old but I was hoping to get them working better without having to replace the mics completely.

Thanks for the responses guys!
The receiver units are Shure ULXP4s and the frequencies are: 556.375, 558.825, 557.425, and 559.950.
These mics USED to pick up quite well but now I find I have to ride the levels on the board really high for any vocalist to be heard clearly.
I know they're old but I was hoping to get them working better without having to replace the mics completely.

Have you ruled out problems elsewhere in the system, such as with the console or any relevant system or signal processing?

The transmitter has a gain adjustment pot. The receiver has a volume setting stored in memory. Have you checked both of those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back